Tags:
  1. Ion

Ion Senior Member

Question About Scifi & Fantasy

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Ion, Apr 3, 2011.

Would a story with a focus on both science fiction/alternate history and fantasy elements be called fantasy or science fiction?

I realize that urban fantasy as a genre blends a modern setting with fantasy, but would it still be called urban fantasy if the technology was different/more advanced compared to modern day? Personally I think it would be, but I'm not completely sure.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Who cares what it's called? Write it, make it good, and leave it up to others to figure out what category it fits in, if any.

If a story doesn't fit in a pre-existing category, it probably means it's pretty original. And that's good.

3. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick Contributing Member

I'd call it science-fiction/fantasy. The alternate history, to me (without knowing the exact context) seems to be an element of science fiction.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Just call it speculative fiction and go with it. The boundaries of genre are remarkably porous.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Depends on the publisher you are trying to sell it to. Assuming it falls enough within that publisher's genre to be a candidate, label it according to how that publisher would label the story.

If it's too close to call, call it sci-fi/fantasy. The publisher may recategorize it in any case.

Genre crossovers can be harder to sell in any case.

If you don't care about selling to a publisher, it doesn't matter one whit how you choose to categorize it.

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I agree with Cogito. But in any event, I would not consider "alternative history" to be sci fi. Philip Roth's "The Plot Against America" was definitely alternative history, but it was definitely not science fiction.