1. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Require some assistance (USA research)

Discussion in 'Research' started by Albirich, Oct 23, 2015.

Me and my group in school are having a presentation about how USA influence our everyday lives, and we're nearing the end of the project. The last thing we're to do is have a presentation. Now my extremely 'nice' group figured out what each member would talk about.

Now they figured I have to talk about 'How the influence the US has on the rest of the world, affects the society in the US."

I have a really shitty group and thank the lawd that I'm swapping class, but sadly I have to endure this through, and of course they gave me a stupid ass topic. (The two girls in the group chose the easiest topics for themselves, I don't even know their topics. So much for group projects)

Anyways, I need some tips how to go about this, I don't even know what to google...like, I don't really think the society cares that much, except for the smallest portion that lives in Hollywood, but that's not because they live in the US, that's because they're famous.

I've been sick / super depressed lately and I actually have to deliver this in 5 hours or something...I'm so fucked and I hate my group. Maybe this should be in the not happy thread as well.

2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Albirich likes this.
  3. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I'd suggest you look at the wars the USA has been in and economics.

After World War II, the USA occupied Japan and had them adopt a pacifist constitution so they only have a self-defense force. Japan recently reinterpreted it to better help its allies, including the USA. We also still have a presence in South Korea. You should look into Afghanistan and our military spending.

The USA has trade embargos against some nations as well as free trade agreements (NAFTA) with Canada and Mexico, our neighbors. Some countries don't welcome Americans who want to travel in.

We were largely dependent on foreign oil but the demand for that declined with the Great Recession which affected the world. The BP oil spill affected the Gulf of Mexico and hit Louisiana hard. As alternatives, we are looking for more energy sources at home, which unfortunately, includes fracking which can contaminate drinking water.

Most recently, Volkswagen cheated on our EPA's clean air tests. Not surprisingly, Canada and South Korea said they would also be investigating.

If you search the news, I'm sure you'll find more than enough. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Albirich likes this.
  4. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

I'll have a look, thanks guys :)

5. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

Just out of curiousity, how many people your age speak English so natively in Norway? I'm kinda impressed. :)

6. Chinspinner

Mate, being an English speaker in Europe is embarrassing. They all do it as well as we do.

BrianIff likes this.
  7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Might I suggest the Cold War centered around the Middle East? You'll find a lot of juicy things there, I think.

8. Chinspinner

I know you are deaf, but surely you can read? Look five posts up ;)

Link the Writer likes this.
  9. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm half-blind also. Must've missed it. :p:rofl:

Lea`Brooks and Chinspinner like this.
  10. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor