1. mikeynj

mikeynj New Member

Question about story length

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by mikeynj, Mar 26, 2012.

Hello,
    I was wondering, how do word processing documents translate to novel page size format? I am working on a story and I am on page 23, about 3/4 through now, but I was wondering approximately how many novel pages that would be. It just seems like, despite my story being developed over a few years in my mind, it still is too short. Well, maybe novella?
    Thanks for any help!
    Mike McGuire, NJ

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Well, the first thing I'd say is that you need to start thinking in terms of the number of words, not pages. Page count varies depending on font, font size, margins, etc. Word count is the same regardless.

But that said, 23 pages seems much too short for a novel, however you spin it.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Word count is more important than page count. An average novel is about 80,000 words. A novella will be about half that.

4. Dresden260

Dresden260 Corrupt Diplomat

Sitting by a Fountain, Watching the world go by.
    The lowest I have seen a publisher go on word count is about 75,000 words. 23 pages is around 15,000 words? It is a bit off the mark. I would suggest finishing the story as your doing it now. When you go back to revise it you add a bit of meat to the bones of your story and fatten it up a bit.

5. mikeynj

mikeynj New Member

Thanks for the info, guys! I thought about it and I will add some more and see where things go from there. Maybe eventually, it can become a novel.

6. Jowettc

Jowettc Contributing Member

First thing - change it all to Manuscript Format. Any reasonable publishing site will tell you what that is but generally it is:

Courier or Courier New Format
    Font Size 12
    Double Spacing
    Single side print (if you're into printing and not digitally submitting)
    Generous Margins (usually about 2cm or 1 inch - but depends)

Most if not all submissions are based on Word Count not pages.

I've seen some sites say around 80k for a novella and some up to 150K for a novel. I think they usually aim for around 100K for a starting author's novel. What that page count ultimately ends up at, is at the discretion of the publisher and how they choose to package it.

7. Rybe

Rybe Member

I've read some pretty hefty short stories, you could finish it, and, conversely to Dresden's suggestion, take a weed whacker to it and tighten it up! Turn it into a short. To me that seems like a much nicer solution than trying to pad it out, unless you have legit material to cram in there.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

most traditional publishers want 80-100k for a first novel by a new and unknown writer... and all agents and traditional publishers deal only in word count, not page count...

the only time you might want to consider page count is if you're having it printed on your own, or by a vanity press of one variety or another...

standard for margins is 1" all around... that is, unless specified otherwise in an agent's/publisher's submission guidelines...

and mss submitted to agents or publishers are always printed only on one side [i can't see how 'digitally submitting' could call for two-sided printing]...

always check each agent's and publisher's guidelines before submitting anything...

9. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

This^ He beat me to it! :)

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'he'??? ;-)