1. Jackmancer

Jackmancer New Member

Question about title of a new website url

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Jackmancer, Sep 6, 2012.

Hello Writingforums,

My motivation for registering was one question, but I think I can learn a lot more here, and hopefully teach others something too!

Also; I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this. If not, apologies!

Anyhow, my question;

I'm writing small stories (child stories) for my girlfriend, who enjoys them. But as before now, I was writing them in a book, on paper, yet when I read it back I want to edit them again, cause I see little mistakes or things that can be written better. That's why I want to make a website for these stories.

English is not my mothertongue, but I want to write it in English anyway. I don't mind typo's, cause I can always edit them. Except for the url, which will be the title.

So, I'm not sure what's the best;

Kingdom inside my mind
    or
    Kingdom in my mind

Can I do both? What sounds best?

Also, should I write Kingdom with a capital K? The universe is refered to as 'the Kingdom', or should The start with a capital as well then?

Thanks so much for answering!

-Jaap

2. jid

jid New Member

Personally I'd go for the "Kingdom inside my mind", the latter one gave me the impression of a Kingdom that simply exists without being alive and breathing, like comparing a colored picture with a grayscale one.
    (Not sure if that made any sense, apologies if it didn't. Haven't had much sleep lately.)

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I don't like either one - neither of them really flow as a phrase at all, and they both sound a little crazy.

If I have to choose, I'd go for "Kingdom in my mind" - for me, it flows better. Your url will look like this: kingdominmymind

If you go for your alternative, it will look like this: kingdominsidemymind - and frankly this is just way to long and too much of a hassle to type.

Kingdom in my mind is also way too long for a url to be honest, assuming you want users to be able to remember the name and type it with ease. When the words are lumped together it's also not immediately obvious what the words are - it just looks like "king domin my min mini" or some such gibberish.

How about Kingdom Stories? kingdomstories

Or Imaginary Kingdom (but then you got the length problem again)

Or how about something plain and simple, just "My kingdom"? mykingdom

And I don't think capitals are necessary. The fewer complications the better. Web users can be very lazy.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Capitalization will not affect the URL - URLs, at least the through the domain name part. are case-insensitive. You cannot use spaces or most punctuation characters in the URL. Hyphens can be used to separate words, underscores should not be used.

The rest is a matter of style and preference, and is solely up to you.

5. ...

... New Member

yeah it's keywords that drive website traffic anyway, so your website title isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.. although it does help in the early days I don't think website name has much to do with SEO. call it whatever you like, so long as you know how to market a website.

set up various free blogs too talking about your website... blah, blah, blah. if you know what you're doing you're fine.

6. B93

B93 Active Member

I don't understand this. You can put the stories into any word processor (even the Notepad program) and edit them. You would put them on a website to distribute them (free) to the world. That has little to do with editing them.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

neither one appeals to me or makes much sense... but i also don't see why you think you need a website just to be able to edit your writings... you can do that on your computer, with any word processing software...

8. Jackmancer

Jackmancer New Member

Well, I was writing it in a real book (blank pages). That's the benefit of digital.

SEO would be nice, but I care most about the general idea of the website, and a correct URL is part of that ;-)