1. VRaptorX

VRaptorX New Member

Do you feel drawing characters helps you make them better?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by VRaptorX, Sep 14, 2012.

I noticed that when writing, I would just sort of add features randomly halfway into the story to characters. I have a real bad habit of doing that, then needing to go back, or make up a reason why such a thing did not happen before. So do you think it's a good idea to draw them first so I always have a reference?

Because that's what I'm doing, but I'm worried I'll just keep changing the drawings. This for example is currently the 4th version of these characters (work in progress)

CHARACTER_PORTRAITS_2.jpg

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I have a picture in my head, but since I only describe characters if it has a need in the story, I don't worry about their looks much at all.

3. Crystal Parney

Crystal Parney New Member

When I create my characters, I always think if this person was a character in a film or tv show, what actress or actor would he/she look most like. This always helps me in my descriptions, then I will look up pics online of these people. In my first book, Beyond Gavia, my main character is Courtney. I decribed her to look like Kristen Bell, which helped when I had to work with an aritist for the book's cover.

4. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

For some characters I've written, I use real people to imagine how they would look and sound. I've not got anything impressive to show off, but my entry for the short story competition has a character called "Colin". It's actually Colin Edwards the motorcycle racer that I used to picture that character. Though I changed his hair colour to reference the angry red headed man in John Wyndham's "Day of the Triffids".

[​IMG]

(I hope I'm not risking a ban for being too pretentious).

5. LooneytoonM

LooneytoonM New Member

Hello!

I think drawing characters would help, just for references purpose. Only problem is I can't draw :-( *sigh*
    I have to make do with using people I know ( like what DM said ). I find that having a character profile sheet helps. Just a layout of all the features I would like my particular character to have. Atleast it's easier than trying to remember all the time. Then if I would like to add something as the story progresses I just simply update their profile. :)

6. Anthrax

Anthrax New Member

The problem as I see it is if you draw out your character or use a picture you tend to over describe the character spending hours over the curve of his/her lips the twist of their hair, the dimples, freckles, acme, shape of the face etc, etc.

7. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

I once created a character, yet couldn't get along with the poor description I made from her...
    I pictured how would it be in many ways
    At the end I draw her and it felt better xD

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Hey , I used to draw my characters all the time - sometimes it can be helpful, sometimes it's distracting. I could
    find myself doing more art than actual writing.

I do what Crystal does - use celebrities or a hybrid of celebrities to pinpoint some of my characters looks. It's helpful especially
    when you can pop in a dvd and nail down an expression or body language.

9. DanesDarkLand

DanesDarkLand New Member

I did it with one of my main characters. I found that Mila Jovovich in Fifth Element, where she fell into the cab, asked Bruce Willis for help. she did it so simply, with so much emotion, that I knew that's how my main character reacts in many situations as she doesn't speak very many words. The simple child like statements have a lot of impact, and the feel is out of this world. Can't keep myself from getting misty eyed when I read it sometimes.

10. Morgulion

Morgulion New Member

I would if I could draw. As it is, I tend to 3D model equipment for proper visualization. For me visualizing the characters in action is important, and I keep a massive folder of images associated with aspects of each character to refer back to and set the mood when my writing focuses on one of them.