1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Poetry Question

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Torana, May 2, 2008.

I have been asked to write a poem about a place. I have been there a few times now and I have not yet ever found anything at all inspiring about this place.

It's hard...because I am being paid to write this poem as it is to be used for promotional purposes in the tourism industry.

But how do you write a powerful and emotive poem about a place that you can't seem to draw any form of inspiration from?

I write a lot of dark poetry, I like to class myself as somewhat of a horror poet, but this piece has to be beautiful, harmonious, revitalising. The person asking me to write the piece is the owner of the property and it is a great opportunity as it gives the beset advertising for my poetry, but how can I do it when the place for me, gives no inspiration what so ever?

I need a little advice and help on this matter before I approach the person just so I know which way to go about this problem. I should be able to draw inspiration from a grain of sand...but this property really does not give me the kind of inspiration that I require to write a poem for this gentleman...I'm doomed before I begin! <sigh>

Am I just being arrogant? Has anyone else ever been in a situation like this, or similar to this? If so, what did you do?

I need help!!!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've written poetry on commission, myself, so am familiar with your problem... you can email me if you don't want to do this publicly, or let me know here something about where and what this place is, so i can hopefully give you a hand...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Try to imagine yourself as a visitor from a completely different part of the world. What about the place typifies the local environment, that might seem exotic to an outsider. Does it seem like a throwback to the past? Then paint it nostalgic. Does it seem shabby? Then think rugged.

Who IS the target audience? Tourists from where?

I hope this gives you a foothold to get your imagination in motion.

4. Tyunglebo

Tyunglebo New Member

I say think of about 20, 25 adjectives or so that describe this property...but don't make a judgment about the good or bad or them. Just pick the words alone that could describe it. Then concentrate on being inspired by, and making a decent poem built around the WORDS you chose as opposed to the property itself. That way, the end product will still be about the property, but your challenge is to incorporate words and phrases into the piece, as opposed to being inspired by the property.

Or, to try another tack...find one small tiny aspect of the place, direct or indirect, that you could, when taken alone, find something to talk about..and make the whole poem about that.

5. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    Why not try sifting through your memories of visiting the place and see what comes to the surface?

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

thanks everyone, that really does help a lot actually.

And maia thank you so very much.