Question : Eragon

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by luckyprophet, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely New Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    The best adaptions are never 100% faithful to their source material. What they do is zero in on the key points and themes and stay true to them. It’s about capturing the spirit of the piece not just rendering on-screen what was written on the page line for line.

Films like the Shawshank Redemption and Peter Jackson’s version of the Lord of the Rings trilogy are excellent examples of this.

2001: A space odyssey is a horrible adaption because it requires you to have read the book for the film to make any sort of sense. I’d rather see a film that is unfaithful to the book than faithful but incomprehensible to those not familiar to the source material.

And make no mistake unfaithful adaption’s can also be good films the two are not mutually exclusive. Stardust and Jurassic Park are excellent examples of this.

But back to the topic

The Inheritance series is basically fantasy by numbers and the first one is kind of fun, ok it’s a lot of fun, if you go along with it.

The sequels alternate between preachy moralizing and pointless overly graphic violence - War is bad but if it is for the greater good that’s alright, understanding the other mans, or dwarfs, or orc rip offs point of view is good, blah blah blah blah. HEY! RORAN KILLS 200 PEOPLE! HIGH SCORE!!!!!

The Dragons POV bits were good though, but unless the next book is written entirely from Saphira’s perspective I won’t be reading it.

2. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Speaking of which, I had always thought this seemed almost unrealistic. I personally enjoyed that particular fight, but for some reason his kill count always bugged me. Well it did, until I read an interesting article on Cracked listing a bunch of people who put 200 to shame :p

Anyways.

I try and seperate myself from trying to decide which is better. The book or the movie. I try and enjoy both versions. Though I do find it sad that they cut... god whats the poltergiests name in Harry Potter? Well I was upset that they left him out of the movies. Would have been awesome to see the Twins giving him the order to give them hell :p

3. mattattack007

mattattack007 New Member

It's been said a 1000 times: Eragon is too much like Star Wars, the book and the movie!

4. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

The movie was horrendous. The books are 10x better, regardless of their flaws.

Never trust a book's movie, all the ones I have seen never hold a candle to the original book. Like Bridge to Tarabithia's movie. *shudder*

5. nightheart1

nightheart1 New Member

The books are WAY better than the movies. The movies in my opinion sucked horribly. I hated them I just felt that the movies didn't catch half the essence of the books. I love the books and still do way better than the movies.