1. elfdragonlord

elfdragonlord Member

Question for fellow writers - music and writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by elfdragonlord, Dec 2, 2007.

Do you prefer to listen to music while you're writing? Or do you prefer silence?

Do you find music helps to inspire you while writing? Do you listen to music that fits the mood of what you're writing? Or do you just put your favourite music in the background and it inspires you to write better because it motivates better or it helps bring out feelings that enrich the writing?

Or do you find that any background noise distracts you from writing so you prefer silence?

I'm interested in these questions because I find that music in the background often helps me to write in a more inspired, emotional and atmospheric way. But the music doesn't necessarily have to fit the mood of what I'm writing. But some music distracts rather than helps (rap for example) and I can also write fairly adequately with absolute silence (though music helps me to feel happier and thus more motivated)

I'm just interested in other writers' opinions on listening to music while writing.

2. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Depends. I suppose I need relaxing music and tend to listen to Michael Buble when just doing normal writing but has to be low. If I am writing a battle scene I need a good rock song. Not metal, just solid rock music.

Other times I don't have music on and to be honest, can find having no music distracting because the beat of the music can keep me going whilst having No music can make me easily distracted

3. ivy

ivy Member

My answer is no and yes. No, I cannot listen to music while I write: background noise of any kind distracts me when I'm trying to organize thoughts into words. I even speak more articulately when it's quiet! The right music, though, can really shape a story for me.

As a writer, the writing process is always going on for me. You would probably say the same thing. I know that about 90% of my writing gets done in my head before it's allowed to be incarnated in ink or pixels. I used to call it "daydreaming;" now I know it's writing. It's when I'm doing this head-writing that music shapes my story. In the car. Washing dishes. Everything major that I've written has, in my mind, had its own soundtrack.

Many times, I've changed the direction a story was taking because a particular song gave me a good idea. Sometimes, a character that was foggy-ish in my mind was clarified for me, because I heard the right music. Right now, the novel I'm working on is turning out to be highly influenced by Celtic Woman.

4. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I use music for anything artistic. I heard some director on television say that music is the root of all art and I really believe that's true.

5. lordofhats

lordofhats Contributing Member

Actually I watch TV. Law and Order, or the Sci-fi Channel. I turn on the tub adn walk around. While pacing with the TV in the background stuff just pops into my head as I ponder. I listen to music when I'm up walking around or to calm myself when I can't sleep. Sometimes I'll listne to music when there is nothing good on.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I too find TV a better background for my creativity. Music actually distracts me, and silence makes me too restless.

7. elusive

elusive Member

I do most of my artistic thinking in the shower, with music blaring. Many times the songs I listen to help create a mood and story in my head. Music helps me go into a trance like state and I find that to be very helpful while I write.

8. Domoviye

Domoviye Contributing Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Music really helps me write. It's not always necessary, but I find my best writing is when I'm listening to music.
    It doesn't need to match the mood of the writing, most of the time I forget the music is even playing once I start writing. I just need it in the background.

9. Frost

Frost Contributing Member

Sometimes I write better with it on, sometimes I dont. I can't write lyrics with music playing though, unless its music of mine or another band members creation.

10. elfdragonlord

elfdragonlord Member

I'd find TV far too distracting. spoken words just totally disrupt my creative process (that's why I can't listen to rap while writing)

In fact I find that the best music to listen to while writing is instrumental - like dance music or classical

Interesting how people differ in these respects

11. elfdragonlord

elfdragonlord Member

This is exactly like me. I need it in the background but I don't pay a lot of attention to it while I'm writing - but it helps somehow.

12. elfdragonlord

elfdragonlord Member

This is very true. Can't write lyrics while listening to music.

The best times/places to write lyrics I find is when I'm on the bus or simply walking around.

13. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributing Member Contributor

I always have to listen to something when I'm writing, even if it's just the TV in the background. I find silence quite unsettling and generally can't work when there's no noise around me. Often I'll watch a movie when I'm doing an assessment because I find it comforting. It's rare that I don't have some form of noise around me when I'm awake, I feel more secure when I have the TV on or my iPod playing, I don't know why.

I don't think music inspires me, but it does help :)

14. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul Member

I listen to anything while doing anything. (Hence, the iPod was the greatest innvention known to man, hehe. ;) )

I use anything; the television or music. I just need background noise, really.

15. Remas367

Remas367 Member

Well, I like to listen to sound tracks of the mood, of the scene I'm writing. Though I never litsen to sound tracks with words. it messes up my train of though and that could be very bad...

16. Axis

Axis Member

I tend to have music on in the background, but it's not essential for me. I used to try to listen to different types of music depending on what I was writing (metal for fight scenes, something mellower for descriptive passages etc. Now I just listen to whatever's new.