1. EmmaWrite

EmmaWrite Member

Question from a young writer

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by EmmaWrite, Jul 11, 2013.

Hi, so I'm in the process of sending out query letters to agents and I know that it helps to add if you've been published before. I have been published, but the only problem is that I was published in a teen literary magazine (Teen Ink.) Revealing that I'm a young writer could hurt my chances of getting my manuscript picked. So should I risk adding my publishing history and revealing that I'm a teenager or should I just leave that information out?

2. UnrealCity

UnrealCity Active Member

If you have been published before I don't see why you shouldn't mention it. If you have a good manuscript, and they want to publish it, perhaps they'll see your age as a good way to publicize the book. "Teen sensation!" or something. But they have to like the manuscript first:)

But I haven't had any experience in this sort of thing, and maybe others will disagree.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Only include relevant publication credits - same or related genre, similar level of industry reputation (old publisher/audience vs new).

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

What Cogito said. But, in the end, even if you have a publishing track record, the work that you're submitting will either sell itself or not. The fact that you have an article or short story published won't change that. Sure, if it's relevant, it doesn't hurt to put it in. It shows that you've worked with an editor before and have some experience with contracts and that you're at lest somewhat dedicated to writing (more likely not a one novel makes up her career writer).

But if the story isn't good enough, or not right for that agent/editor, a credit from a lit magazine won't make any difference.

5. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

If the magazine is reputable, I don't see why that should be a disadvantage. If your query is professional (meets pro standards and with a professional tone) then I don't see why your age should matter because you've already demonstrated you're as mature and aware as any adult might be.

Follow the agent's submission guidelines, make sure your query meets industry standard (or agent's standards if she specifies what she likes). That's all that matters. Your story will get picked if it's worth publishing.