Question On Writing POV?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AzraelSakura, Sep 20, 2010.

1. arron89

arron89 Banned

I honestly don't see why it's such a problem to have him narrate her thoughts and emotions, or at least what he imagines to be her thoughts and emotions. We do this all the time, in every interaction; it's why humans are so successful socially compared to other species. He can read emotion, he can guess what she might be thinking, and he doesn't need a crystal ball. Obviously there's still a line you can't cross if you're trying to be realistic, but verisimilitude is overrated...

2. flanneryohello

flanneryohello New Member

Of course he can guess her thoughts and feelings, and I'm sure the OP was aware of that. The impression I got was that he wanted to actually detail her real thoughts and feelings, not what his protagonist imagines they might be.

Sure, people can guess how others feel, but rarely do they fully understand what goes on inside another person's head. People misinterpret the feelings of others all the time.

3. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

Completely agreed. Even if we guess somewhat accurately, we can only hope to scratch the surface, as thoughts, ideas, emotions etc... are not simply black and white. A wide range of factors are in play, many of which we're not even consciously aware of.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I agree I told my first story in first person from the point of view of one character, my second is from the point of view of his older brother. Both books start with the younger brother in trouble (the older brother is the schoolmaster) - it is really interesting how my 6ft10 character describes being in trouble compared to how his older brother describes how he looks. Then there are the gestures that my younger brother feels are noble that in the second book we realise the older one just tolerates.

5. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

If you want to keep the first person perspective, I think you have to do it the hard way: Show her emotions through her body language and between the lines of her speech.