Question regarding the word "literally"

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by marina, Sep 11, 2008.

1. iknowimsoslow

iknowimsoslow New Member

I try not to use the word literally in my daily life because I watched an episode of MadTV once where they made fun of people who used it. Now I always think of that and wonder if people roll their eyes at me.

I guess that's a little off subject, but I was literally dying to mention it.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Language changes. Eventually, with enough misuse, the word literally will most likely gain a new definition based on that misuse.

Meanwhile, if you know it is misuse, what is the point of misusing it in writing outside of a character (dialogue, or character-driven narration) context? If you have a specific purpose in misusing it, fine. But don't misuse it because you think no one cares about the correct usage anymore. Sometimes, people get so annoyed at a misused word or phrase that the backlash reverses the decay of the word's semantics.

As a writer, hold yourself to a higher standard. Do not knowingly commit verbicide!

3. Paki-Writing

Paki-Writing New Member

LOL. Would you accept a photoshoped picture?

Oh common. So the word literally starts to get used metaphorically. It's not literally the end of the world!

4. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

It's 'come on'.

5. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

Indeed it is. Or C'mon if you want to slang it up a little! :p