1. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Call for help to all the computer nerds out there.

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Shadow Dragon, Dec 26, 2008.

Ok, so quick back story, back on the twentieth I got an mp3 player for my birthday. It everythin went along fine for the first few days, until christmass morning when I connected it to my computer via usb 2.0 high speed, the cable that came with it, it wouldn't read. Upon further investigation, I got the error, "This Device Cannot Start Code 10." I have tried the steps that troubleshooting gave me. I have uninstalled it and renstalled it and I have searched for an updated version of the driver. Needless to say, they didn't work. So, to any of you that are wise in the ways of the computer, what would you suggest?

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

What is the manfacturer and name of the device?

Additionally, it would be helpful were you to provide the defintion of a "code 10" error. What application gave the error code?

What were the steps provided in the troubleshooting? Did said steps come from the manual or Microsoft/Apple?

3. Shadow Dragon

Well according to my computer's device manager, it's manufacturer is "Compatible USB storage device." Which I'm guessing means that it's a generic brand.

I discovered that it was error code 10 by looking at my hardware's system properties.

The steps that troubleshooting told me were to uninstall and reinstall the driver, and to search for an updated version of the driver.

4. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

extra info on the error and your operating system would be helpful.

5. adamant

How many USB ports do you have? Did you try putting the cable into a different slot?

I'm not completely sure what you uninstalled. However, when you are in your device manager, right-click each of the "Universal Serial Bus" nodes—which should be named "Root Hub" if they are not connected to anything—and uninstall those. Then, restart your computer so they can return to their default state.

If that doesn't work, come back and I'll see what else will help.

6. Shadow Dragon

My operating system is Windows XP home edition. According to microsoft's site, error code 10 means - "If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message: Device Cannot Start Code 10"

I've tried other usb ports on the computer, didn't work. And I just tried your idea, but it's still doing the same thing. When I check it out on the device manager, theres a little exclamation mark by it, and it says "device cannot start code 10."

7. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I have one that charges through the USB cable as well as downloads and uploads. I was having a similar problem and it turned out my USB cable wasn't charging the device properly. It was on briefly while it was plugged in but immediately shut off as soon as the program tried to read the device.

I have a charger adapter kit that I used to fully charge the mp3 player and it fixed the problem. I doubt it is the same problem, but it would be worth checking out.

8. adamant

• Does the computer give this same error when you use any other USB device?
    • Have you tried updating your operating system? Go to the Microsoft website, then to their Windows Update page using Internet Explorer.

• I've read about a download that may the help the problem as well, but I'd rather go through the other steps first.

9. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Code 10 is a difficult error to fix as it is only returned when your computer doesn't know what error to return. It's sort of like the "Other" box. If no error fits the problem the computer is having, it returned a Code 10 to tell you it has no idea what's wrong. Code 10 is often the result of hardware software incompatibility, configuration errors, or data corruption. This is true of microsoft systems, mainly XP, I have no idea if Macs have a code 10 or if it's the same thing if they do. I think Vista has a Code 10 but I'm not sure (I'm not a trouble shooting person :p. If something doesn't work I dump it XD).

This is a complicated issue and I' really not an expert. I found this page on microsfot's support site: Code 10 Error. It's very possible the device just isn't compatible or maybe you got a recent update for your OS (do they still update XP?) that made it incompatible just recently. To figure that out check the Windows Hardware Compatibility List. It has a complete list of all software and hardware compatible with Windows systems (It might take awhile, it is a long list, oh and make sure you use Internet Explore 6 or up, damn microsoft bastards block my safari whenever I try to access the page and tell me that).

10. Shadow Dragon

Quick update: Well for whatever reason, it has decided to work again thankfully. Thanks for all the suggestions. Isn't technology just great? :rolleyes:

11. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    haha, well. microsoft is just a pain in the arse...i have switched to ubuntu, and have no troubles