Question

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Sparkle, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Sparkle

Sparkle New Member

Yes, I appreciate that, but I meant that if you want to post your own work, is it best to post fan fiction, which is something you're never going to want to submit for publication. Sorry, I should have clarified that - I didn't actually mean the best way to get feedback as such.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Well, yes, if you want general feedback on your writing, then it's best to post a piece which you have no intention of publishing anyway. But I think the issue here is more specific problems faced with pieces intended for submission to publishers.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't recommend fan fiction as the way to display your writing. You are much better off with characters and settings of your own creation.

Also, there is always some risk of violating copyrights or trademarks when posting fanfic.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i wouldn't advise that, torana... if only an excerpt has been posted, there's no need to mention it and doing so would brand one a rank amateur, at best...

even an entire chapter of a novel can be posted without affecting one's first rights... it's only when the entire work, or a significant portion of it has been posted that they would be jeopardized...

but all should keep in mind that once something has been posted, even if it's removed after a few days, the post can still be found, if it's been archived...

i'll have to argue that with you, cog... i don't see why anyone you'd submit your completed work to would care, or want to know that just a small portion of it was posted anywhere... and there's nothing dishonest about not mentioning it, imo... if asked, of course one would have to tell the truth, but i doubt any agent or publisher would ask whether anything less than the whole thing had been made available publically...