1. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Question...?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lucy E., Oct 13, 2008.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I think it's a good balance. Three distinct persons with their own story. But how are you going to present it?

How would you organize your parts? Would it be Part One --> Part Two --> Part Three or would you switch back and forth between them to show different events? I have the feeling that if you do them in a linear order one after the other I won't want to keep reading after one because I'll feel like I'm reading the same story but instead of a man it's a mom etc.

I would think it better to mix them in together to show different parts of the day. Like start with your operator seeing the planes fly off course, switch to mom saying goodbye to close friend and then have the man meet close friend so on and so forth.

3. Kylie

Kylie New Member

It wouldn't bore me. I like to know a lot of background info. I guess it also matters how long the book itself (when completed) is going to be. If the background info is longer than the part after 9/11 than it'll be too much.
    A 911 operator? As in the person who recieved the 911 call? Very creative. :p. So anyway, to answer your question: Great ideas. I think it's kind of strange (the characters you choose to write about), but I'm curious to see how it all turns out! Keep up the great work! :D

4. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Thanks guys. :)

lordofhats, it's kinda difficult to explain how I'm doing that. Give me a moment - I have the plot written down in my notebook. I'll go find it and type it out.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's all been done successfully many times over, so if you write well enough, it'll work... if you don't, it won't... as with anything, the proof will be in the pudding... wait till you have the dish served up, before asking if it 'works'...

6. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Thanks for your advice. :)

7. architectus

architectus Banned

6,000 words is not too long. As long as you show interesting, exciting parts of their personal lives you could write even more before the attacks.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Whether or not the readers get bored in the first 5400 words depends on what exactly is in those words to hold the reader's interest. You can bore the reader in a paragraph - or you could holds the reader for an entire novel that culminates with the first plane striking the World Trade Center tower.