1. FinalStar

FinalStar New Member

Do I need to...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by FinalStar, Jul 13, 2011.

Do I need to find an agent for a few short story I wish to get published? I was thinking of finding a magazine to submit them to. If I don't need an agent dose anyone have a link to a good site with a list of place to submit to? I have Freelance writing is there any other sites?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Generally speaking, agents don't represent short stories. You just look up the magazine/anthology/whatever's guidelines, and send the story in accordingly.

And you're best bet for finding somewhere is www.duotrope.com

3. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Also I'd suggest looking for competitions. There are an awful lot of competitions for short stories, and sometimes they publish not just the winners but runner ups etc.

Cheers.

4. FinalStar

FinalStar New Member

Hmm i never thought about a competitions. Thats a good idea. Any link to a site with a list of writing competitions?

I have another question. I am looking at www.duotrope.com. I did the search but it ask me a few things i dont know. How do i know what Subgenre or style my work is? Its making looking for the right publisher a bit harder.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I wouldn't worry about those things. The best thing to do is look through some of the stories the magazine publishes and see how well your piece fits in with the others (in terms of style, theme, etc.). A lot of magazines have at least a few stories available for free.

6. FinalStar

FinalStar New Member

So I been looking at the Duotrope's digest site. There is so many publishers. Im feeling really lost and unsure of things now. There is a lot of Electronic Publication. Some of the sites dont have story i can even read to find out if my own work would fit with them. That only adds more confusion. Anyone have any tips or advise they can give me?

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

agents don't rep short stories, unless the author is a big money-making client of theirs...

yes, there are a lot of publications... and yes, it's hard work figuring out where to submit your work... so, who said being a writer was gonna be easy? ;-)

you have to slog through the lists and check out each publication's content/guidelines... there's no easy way to do this...