1. Literature

Literature New Member

Question

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Literature, Feb 13, 2013.

What is the point of poems and writing in general? Does it practically benefit humans in anyway?

2. Xatron

Xatron Contributing Member

Are you looking for arguments to use in an essay or something or is this an attempt at flaming? In a forum for WRITERS aka people that WRITE stuff asking if there is a point to it you are either expecting responses like "of course" that are expected (again, since the majority in here are WRITERS aka people that WRITE stuff) or you believe that some of us are imbeciles that do stuff we know to be pointless or/and worthless.

3. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

Its art. We humans have a necessity for creating. Early man crafted utensils, paintings, toys and collectibles for his own enjoyment. And as we have evolved so has our 'need' for art. Perhaps that is what separates us from other animals our love to create. Does it have any point? Of course. Its our distraction from the rigours of life. Its our escapism. It our sanity break. Its definitely mine.

Personally I find poetry hard to fathom but many love it and love creating it. Does poetry and writing benefit man? of course it does. It has brought knowledge to the masses and has entertained many for centuries.

This question is as nonsensical as the one from someone who asked, what are the benefits of reading?

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Yeah, seems kind of a pointless question to ask here, unless perhaps you're frustrated with a project and just having one of those "Oh, what's the use!" moments...

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

explain why you're asking and maybe you'll get some answers...

you might as well be asking "What is the point of music/dance/art/scuplture/entertainment in general? Does it practically benefit humans in anyway? "

6. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Contributing Member

I remember reading something somewhere that made absolute sense to me. I cannot remember the person who said it, for Richard Russo was quoting him. Well, more specifically, was describing a time where this writer came and did a lecture at the University Russo worked at, and all kinds of Undergrads and Grads were chomping at the bits to ask him the age old question:

What makes literature, literature?

Or, translation: What makes art, art?

Here these students were expecting this long-winded and brilliantly profound reply on the nature of art, the essence of capturing human experience, and all these great images and ideas conjured when someone utters the word 'art.'

The guy simply replied (and I'm paraphrasing):

"To entertain, and then to teach. In order of priority."

My own opinion leads me to agree with this sentiment, while also spinning it a little bit. We write or create art because it's a mode of expression, a way of communicating something with the world that we may not be able to successfully do through another medium. Even more simply, it provides us pleasure, allows us to transport ourselves into the lives of others, into lakes of emotion where the water may be cool or warm, or WHATEVER.

Do we truly need a reason to create things, as long as it provides us pleasure?

7. Literature

Literature New Member

This.
    I do advanced english at school but all we do is analyse texts then write essays to support whatever thesis we choose... it is very boring and pointless.
    Some of the texts we analyse are interested though, we analysed Julius Caesar, Gatsby, Speeches, Bladerunner, Frankenstein etc... but yesterday we analysed a terrible poem, it is so bad that it made me ask this question... you can read it here http://aiss-english-10.wikispaces.com/file/view/Nobody%20Calls%20me%20a%20Wog%2C%20Anymore.pdf/207181770/Nobody%20Calls%20me%20a%20Wog%2C%20Anymore.pdf

8. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

Yes. It educates. Enlightens. Entertains. Intrugues. Inspires. Amuses. It stimulates emotions. It passes the time.

9. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

I get where you're coming from. Years ago I took a film class, and we had to analyze "Citizen Kane". Ruined that movie for me, even now, after nearly 40 years! I would advise going off in a corner of the library and writing the most ridiculously wild piece of fantasy you can imagine - just for the enjoyment. That'll remind you of part of the reason people write. :D