1. The Backward OX

The Backward OX Senior Member

Outback Queensland, Australia, far from the maddin

Questions about POV

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by The Backward OX, Sep 20, 2009.

I have difficulty grasping certain aspects of POV.

For example, I have read the following two ideas:

(they are verbatim quotes from wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrative_mode )

1. The person whose point of view is used to relate the story is regarded as the "narrator.”
    2. “Narrative point-of-view” determines the person whose perspective the story is viewed through.

In simple terms, can someone please explain to this dummy the difference between these two concepts.

And while I have your attention:

What’s the difference between “third person omniscient” and “an omniscient narrator”?

Thank you.

2. Rei

Rei Contributing Member Contributor

I don't think there is a difference between “third person omniscient” and “an omniscient narrator”. It sounds like two different terms for the exact same thing. However, I suppose an omnicient narrator could be a first-person narration, but that person happens to know everything that is going on. It's not something I would do.

As for your definitions for what point of view is, they seem to be saying pretty much the same thing, but in different words. Point if view is simply who is telling the story.

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

Narrator = person telling the story
    Narrative POV = that person's POV
    If you are writing in first person, the narrator is the 'I' voice, and the narrative point of view is just the point of view of that 'I'.

3rdperson omniscient: a mode where the narrator is a "third person", detached from the characters and (while I hate hate hate hate the term 'omniscient') apparently all-knowing/all-seeing.
    Therefore the omniscient narrator is the person narrating in that above mode. Often, the narrator in 3rd person omniscient isn't a person (actually always, unless the narrator is God, otherwise omniscience is an approxmation or a lie), so you use the generic term "narrator" to mean the voice of the narrative (which MUST be kept separate to the voice of the author).

So yeah, just remember the different voices: there's the voice of the author, which is usually implicit in a text, the voice of the narrator, which is always explicit in a text, and the voices of characters. You may also want to note that in 1st person, the voice of the author, narrator and main character, while all existing in the same physical body, are still all separate.

4. The Backward OX

The Backward OX Senior Member

Outback Queensland, Australia, far from the maddin
    That seems fairly straightforward.

Who taught kay one double you ones how to write?:)

5. Robert

Robert Banned

No, the person telling the story is the narrator. The point of view character, that's the person through whose perspective the story is told. They can be the same but often aren't.

Cheers,
    Rob