1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Questions on Bones

Discussion in 'Research' started by Killer300, May 31, 2011.

1. If someone had their neck violently broken, would someone upstairs in a house hear it?
    2. If someone had their arm violently broken, would someone hear their arm breaking in another room?

I'm wondering whether bone breaking is heard, because in the story, the characters hears his parents getting killed downstairs, and one them gets their neck broken.

2. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Well as someone who heard his own radius and ulna being snapped behind his back, I can say that bones do make a sound when they break. But not enough to carry to another room I would say. The sound is muffled by skin and flesh.

3. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Ah, I see. Okay, then I have some editing to do. Thanks!

4. WastelandSurvivor

WastelandSurvivor New Member

You might hear it across a small room, but probably not from another floor in a house. You would definitely hear the scream when the arm is broken, though.

5. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

This, times a thousand.

6. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I don't think I screamed much when I broke my arm - I was busy breaking my fall, and then I just endured.

7. Domino

Domino Active Member

I've been right next to a couple of people when they've broken bones. (I didn't do it to them, honest. ;)) I didn't hear any snapping. That was an ankle and a wrist, though, not a neck or an arm. Bigger bones might be louder for all I know.

8. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Are the parents conscious when the bone breaking happens? I would imagine one parent watching the other get killed, plus the shock and pain of the broken arm, would result in that parent screaming. Or at the very least, they might try to scream to warn their kids of the danger.

9. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

My daughter broke a bone in her wrist(small bone) she did not make a sound nor did the bone breaking.

I was sitting across the gym watching gymnastics. The girl landed wrong, I saw the arm move in a way it shouldn't and still was not sure she was injured until her body language told me she was hurt.

Big bones breaking do make some noise, but I think even a little bit of noise could cover the sound. Not like in the karate movies, where they break celery as a sound effect.

BTW Bones breaking can be excruciating or nearly painless. I am an Ortho nurse, and had a patient that walked on a broken hip for several days, four I think, before he went to the Dr. No, not a crack, full femoral neck, nearly non-displaced(means the fracture stayed in place.)

Forgot, I broke my neck in a swimming pool when I was 10, I swam by my baseball coach, other kids were trying to dunk him, and he thought I was too, he slammed my head down to dunk me, and my neck crunched to the side. I knew it was broken, I was floating face down in the water, and used minimal muscles to turn over to lay on my back and pushed away from him, afraid he would do it again(they were still dunking each other.) No one heard it snap, I felt the pain, a bright flace of light in my eyes, I carefully walked over to the ladder and got out. My coach never knew he broke my neck, and in fact no one did until I got out of the military. I never imagined I broke it after a day. Xrays showed one of the spinus process on one vertebra on the back of the spine broke.

10. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

This reminds me of the other day when I was watching one of those shows, 'The World's Dumbest Stunts' or whatever. A scene they showed was of a bunch of skateboarders trying to grind on a hand rail. One skateboarder fell off, crashed, and when he stood up it was very obvious his arm was broken, but he didn't seem to be in pain. There weren't any sounds other than his body slamming into the pavement or his skateboard bouncing off the ground.

The kid called his mom to tell her the news. He sounded calm as could be. "Yea, Mom, I broke my arm. Again."