1. michaelj

michaelj Active Member

Would this be OTT?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by michaelj, Jun 15, 2012.

Basically i'm thinking about making a main character attempt to rape a woman. Except she'll get the better of him by throwing him off her and beating the crap out of him in a comical way.. Before I add it to my story, would you say this is OTT? I know rape is foul and horrible.

2. louis1

louis1 Member

what's OTT ?

3. lallylello

lallylello New Member

In my opinion - not OTT (Over The Top - btw louis1) but it will make your main character an irrevocably despicable person. Does that work for you? If he goes around raping people then it's going to be really hard for anyone to have any sympathy for him for the rest of the story.

4. lallylello

lallylello New Member

Just realised you also put "comical" - not sure you can have rape and comedy on the same page - so maybe rethink it after all.
    sorry

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Whether or not it is over the top depends on how well you write it.

You're dealing with a subject that many will not look upon favorably if you try to take it to humor. You'll be clog dancing in a minefield.

6. louis1

louis1 Member

thanks! as for OPs question, I personally don't think it would be ''OTT'' (am I cool? I feel cool.) If you like what you're writing write it, and don't change it for some people who always complain, that's censorship.
    Don't censor yourself for other. do you think it's over the top? No? they roll with it.
    remember;
    the worst thing about censor is ************************************************.

7. Cogito

Psst. Censure and censor are not the same thing...

8. lallylello

lallylello New Member

Yes, louis1, you are cool, very cool.:p

9. louis1

louis1 Member

oh gosh, I'm french, it's censure in french just didn't even think about it, thanks for pointing that out.

10. michaelj

michaelj Active Member

My story has multiple main characters. The character I was on about has just deserted his army because he's a coward. He isn't a very likable person but he's entertaining to read about in
    my opinion. But thanks a lot for your opinions everyone!

11. Mokrie Dela

Mokrie Dela New Member

I think it will depend on context. Having the character randomly do it because he feels like it, won't go down well with anyone imo.

But if the story is one that chronicles his life and stresses, say he's lost his job, he's lost his wife, he's lost his kids, he's stressed, he's in debt, women are repulsed by him, he meets a girl, walks her home and they get heated and he simply loses control.... you might get away with that.

Adding comedy will seem like you're making fun of the subject, which is a big taboo.

Now if you're wanting the reader to dislike the man, and a rape scene will likely have the reader detesting him, then it could work also for that end.

12. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

Having a woman fight off her rapist has a page on TV Tropes, so apparently some people think it isn't OTT.

Also, Mokrie Dela, I want to point out that making fun of rape isn't a taboo. It's controversy, dammit. AND CONTROVERSY SELLS. MAKE FUN OF RAPE ALL YOU LIKE. Despite what you might think about Twilight, it essentially gave the impression that Edward is a stalker, Bella is a masochist(see Breaking Dawn, post-blacked-out-honeymoon) and Jacob is a pedophile, and it's still a bestseller.

13. Mokrie Dela

Mokrie Dela New Member

I stand (sit) corrected. I wouldn't be brave enough to try that (yet) though, so if matey feels he can do if fair enough.

Love your avatar btw

14. evelon

evelon Active Member

I thought that too. Without actual experience of rape, I think you have to do your research to treat it properly. I can't see any woman who has ever found herself in that position seeing anything funny about having to fight a would be rapist off.
    I also think that you'll find that most women would be overpowered by the man. Put that down to determination of the man and fear of the woman. Not really a subject to raise a smile.

15. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think that one way to look at this is to try the same plot with other thoroughly evil acts. Such as a character that tries to murder a baby, but the mother shoves him away from the baby carriage and beats him up. Or he tries to cut someone's head off, but the victim shoves him away and beats him up. Or he tries to set fire to a family home and roast the family alive in the middle of the night, but he gets caught and beaten up.

Can those be made funny? I don't know, but writing these is a similar task, and the character trying to commit the acts is similarly unforgivable.

16. michaelj

michaelj Active Member

Ok I've done the chapter now.. I'd post it on the fiction forum but for some reason I'm not allowed to post.

Regarding the character in question. I'll say there's multiple main characters but he's only one of them. I'm writing him to be a despicable person as such. He only cares about himself, he's also quite an evil dude. Also I should of described the comical thing better. It's not neccasary meant to be "funny" like "hahahha that guy is a loser, he can't even rape a woman!" its more of a case of "wow you're pathetic dude and girl power!" The woman proves to be an interesting person herself, in what she does to him (she has a dark mind herself). Where he blindly runs off and gets himself into more trouble (showing the woman has the upperhand on him). I'm trying hard to not offend people who've been in similar situations but I imagines its hard to write such a dark story (that i'm doing) without offending a few people...

Correct me if I'm wrong but in Flashman #1, doesn't Flashman actually rape a woman? I'm not trying to say what I'm writing can be justified for this but it's been done in the past.

17. Boomstick10995

Boomstick10995 Member

I'm all for dark comedy. It seems to make up the majority of comedy that's out there today anyway. Rape is a bit touchy, though. You're bound to offend some people, but if you're writing for the comedy drama, you shouldn't be worried about offending people anyway. Kind of comes with the trade.

I do like the description you gave above, but maybe you can research the situation a little bit? Comedians always find a way to make rape funny, so maybe find some stories, TV shows, comedy acts, etc. that have a similar situation and build off of that? Not sure if that helps.

And good luck with your story! :)

18. michaelj

michaelj Active Member

I'm not trying to be a comedian, lol. It's a dark fantasy, and the soldier has deserted his army.

19. roguemaster1224

roguemaster1224 New Member

I completely agree. If anyone is going to be raped, it's going to be the main character (but might not work out since im guessing its a male) so i suggest you leave it out

20. Siren

Siren New Member

I agree with Pythonforger, controversy sells. Go for it. In George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series, people get raped (and gang raped) every other page, including young children... and now he has a show on HBO.

21. michaelj

michaelj Active Member

Still makes me wonder why a 48 yr old man (at the time) would write about little girls being raped and then every other page describing how they pleasure themself. Mind you, his work is fun to read though.

Ps: I posted my chapter if anyone wants to critique/flame me.

22. Siren

Siren New Member

Yea, he's a little creepy, and definitely OTT lol. I had a read through your chapter, no worries, I think you're safe.

23. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

As a victim of sexual abuse, I could see greatly enjoying a scene where a woman fights off a rapist, if it's done well. It would have to have sympathy squarely on the woman, with a hefty dose of wish-fulfillment in the way she beats on the would-be rapist. (I loved the scene in Buffy the Vampire Slayer where a jock tries to rape Buffy and she breaks his arm.)

24. Cogito

It was his nose.

25. live2write

live2write Senior Member

In my opinion with the direction you are going it is like a double edged blade. You can go in two ways: you can go OTT or you can ease the reader into the story you are telling. Regardless you will receive opinions from readers that are completely fine with what you had written or are outraged by the topic and the scenario. If you are going for shock value you may need to push the edge a bit and go OTT. Then again it is not necessary with a suggestive scene like you described in your original post.

I have read stories from writers who told the victims story of their horrific experiences. Most of the time you are expected and prepared to understand what you are reading into. Either way, one reader may react different from another.

I have read stories where the writer suggested such an act that it was hidden in metaphors or later revealed in the story. Some stories, the writer skipped the scene entirely and then unveils in the beginning what had happened.