1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Inspiring Grammy Performance: Macklemore

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GingerCoffee, Jan 27, 2014.

I ask you please do not turn this thread into a debate. It's just a beautiful song, a beautiful performance, a beautiful ceremony and I'd like to share it with anyone who didn't watch the Grammys tonight.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  2. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I don't want to turn this into a debate anymore than you do, I'd just like to point out it's a pretentious song, with male vocals that could have sounded better were they spoken -that's right, spoken, because he's not singing or rapping- by a frog and female vocals that should sound a lot better for a singer of that weight (eg opera). There's nothing artistic, aesthetic, intellectual, or euphonious going on here, wherever you may lean on the political spectrum.
    Sorry but as an appreciator of music, and a firm believer in its current decline in popular culture, I just felt I had to point this out.

3. GingerCoffee

Thanks for not respecting my request. Did you need to comment? Couldn't you have kept your opinion to yourself?

If you don't like the video, go start your own thread.

4. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

We all experience music subjectively. You enjoyed it enough to make the effort to bring it to the attention of those who might not have seen it otherwise. Musically, it's not my cup of tea, but that's neither here nor there. What matters is that you liked it, Ginger. Even though it's not the kind of thing I would normally lean towards, I can still give credit for the arrangement, production and staging. Also, this kind of performance rarely comes across as well on the box as the impact it would make when experiencing it live.

Uh... ok, then. If you say so. (Just another of many examples of @123456789 poking the hornets nest with a big pointy stick, just to get a reaction?)

Well, that's it sorted then. I always wondered why I can't sing worth a shit. It must be to do with my 120lb frame. Perhaps if I increase my intake of cheeseburgers, I'll at long last be able sing coloratura. I wanted to be Joan Sutherland when I was a kid. Perhaps now that I know it's not innate ability, or years upon years of training, but my girth, I might at long last achieve my dream. (Mickey D's, here I come!) And yes, I am aware that size can play a part, but there are plenty of skinny sopranos with huge lung capacity that would beg to differ.

Just as well Ginger is listening with her ears, and feeling it with her heart, rather than yours then. ;)

5. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

This song makes me cringe, the first line especially. This video sums it up perfectly lol -

6. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I love seeing threads like this...

"Okay, guys, I'm posting something I have an opinion on, please don't comment unless you feel exactly as I do..."

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I like Macklemore, I must admit. I always liked the guy: he's cool, and loose, and silly, and funny; and more importantly, he is trying hard to make something good. Sadly, though, the posted video is now being blocked by 'Grammys' I can't hear the performance.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  8. GingerCoffee

Maybe you can find it elsewhere online, @Lemex.

9. 123456789

Well, if you aren't Sarah Brightman, I encourage you to stock up on peanut butter and buy a motorized wheelchair.

10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've since heard it on another website (the AOL one, if you can believe that. I imagine there is a party every time I log into my account) and yeah, I would say it's a very emotive version of what was already I thought a decent enough song. Any positive message like it is welcome by me anyway, I'm tired of rap being so materialistic and ... for lack of a better word, hostile. It's why I like guys like Lupe Fiasco too, I really like what they are trying to do.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  11. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I didn't see it, but apparently the Grammy's were not very child friendly this year, and some are comparing it to the inappropriateness of the VMA's. Many parents were pretty upset.

That being said, I wouldn't allow my children to listen to Macklemore or Jay-Z or most current 'pop' sensations because I wouldn't want my child emulating the lifestyle or morals that they sing about.

12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The song wasn't bad. The whole ceremony thing seemed pretty damned cheesy, though.

13. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

The song is pretty good,IMO. Mom loves it.

Andrae Smith and GingerCoffee like this.
  14. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I like the song, though I got tired of how often they played it on the radio last summer. It's a refreshing change from the bad rap that's out there. It has a good message, too.

Andrae Smith and GingerCoffee like this.
  15. We Are Cartographers

We Are Cartographers Active Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  16. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

17. GingerCoffee

Music has individual appeal. Maybe because I don't particularly like most Rap Songs, I like Macklemore's. I can understand people do or no not like his particular Rap, my son, for example likes Rap music and isn't impressed with Macklemore from a music standpoint.

I'm not surprised people have different reactions to the performance, pretty much that's par for the course given the subject matter. I found the performance inspiring and I also like the music.

18. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

The most inspiring performance to me at the Grammy's was Natalie Grant walking out in the middle of it. It takes a lot of moral muscle to stand up in the face of popular judgment for what you believe.

19. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

20. Jack Asher

21. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Am I the only one who didn't watch the Grammys?

22. 123456789

Everyone pay close attention to this part from WAC's link:

"The city that blessed us with Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana has now cursed us with the rap gameUpworthy: a man hawking hip-hop that switches out faked emotion for real intellect and faked intellect for real emotion and has no discernible goals other than to congratulate its makers for making it and its listeners for purchasing it."

23. Jack Asher

I think that is the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever read. The entire article is a farce.

Andrae Smith and Wreybies like this.
  24. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah. The guy writing the article is either having a laugh or is participating in the exact same masturbatory stroke that he's condemning. Same stroke, same dick. Not a lick of difference. It's no different than people who use the word sheeple simply being another breed of sheeple and people who trounce fanboys are themselves fanboying. It's all a pointless circle of self-satisfying hypocrisy. Hence, masturbation.

Andrae Smith and KaTrian like this.
  25. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I didn't either. They were broadcasted over here, though, for some reason.

I'd never heard anything by Macklemore before. I don't know. I guess I just don't understand the kind of pop music they make nowadays. But it's cool if someone's using their fame for something positive too.