1. lameri

lameri New Member

Font/style to include email?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by lameri, Mar 28, 2011.

When including email exchanges, what style do you recommend to use to differentiate it from the text? What I've done so far, since I don't like to abuse italics, is to keep the font but have smaller spacing between the lines (1, instead of 1.5 for the rest of the text). I'd like to hear other people's ideas.
    Thank you!

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I'd just use italics and have it set out as an email, e.g From:, To: Cc: Title (or whatever it's called haven't used an email in a long time): Maybe the time it was sent too.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't use italics, and don't play games with fonts.

Italics have specific uses, even if those rules are often ignored. And a manuscript is submitted in a single font. If the publisher chooses to use fonts to distinguish different types of text, that is their prerogative, and theirs alone.

The correct way to render an email, or a handwritten or typed letter, or other quoted missives, is a block quote. A bock quote is merely a range of text indented from the normal margin, with no quotation marks enclosing it, and no first line indent on each paragraph.

4. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Does it matter? If you get published the publishers will want to do it their own way. Just indent it. And your manuscript should be double-spaced for submission; you will annoy editors if you use single or 1.5 spacing. If you are self-publishing then I would still say don't play with line spacing. What happens if it's a single line? Either just indent it or if you must play around use a monospaced font such as Courier.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

unless it is an email submission then they may specify single space and NOT courier (anything but)

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it matters if you want agents and publishers to consider you a pro and not an amateur...

pros do it in their mss the way cog said... if their publishers want to arrange it differently when the book is styled, that's up to them...

7. lameri

lameri New Member

Thanks for the advice.

8. lameri

lameri New Member

I was wondering...

What if it's very short? For example, let's say there is an exchange of two emails. Character A sends a long email, so the block quote is great, but character B emails "I'll see you there." Wouldn't it be better to have that response in normal narrative format and in quotation marks?
    Thanks.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If it is very short, treat it like dialogue:

Lane typed, "I'll meet you there at 4:00," and clicked the Send button.

10. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Well, my suggestion of courier was if self-publishing, in which case you set the rules for email submissions to yourself! :D

11. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

och well in which case you can use Italics lol which in my opinion work much better for emails and letters - it may not be correct but I personally prefer to see it.

Have done since university introduced the idea for block quotes. My Penguin punctuation book seems to grudgingly admit it can be used as such (it is very grudging).

12. lameri

lameri New Member

Cogito, your suggestion was great. Now, I have an extra question: Do you leave any blank lines between the rest of the narrative and the block quote. I haven't, but just wondering...
    Thanks again.

13. lameri

lameri New Member

Never mind, I just found the APA guidelines and even a reference to do it in word. Thanks :)