1. Corgz

Corgz New Member

Random plot i came up with in a few minutes...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Corgz, Jan 17, 2012.

A boy awakes from what seems to be a coma in an empty hospital. He has no memory of his life, only his name. Blood covered walls and floors scatter around the strange, eerie building. The boy stumbles from his room and searches the hospital.
    There was no one. He ventures outside and sees the ruined streets. Cars scattered about, some had obviously exploded or at least burnt, still, stains of blood were scattered around the place.
    Finally, the boy spots a person. He walks close up to the person facing away from him and taps him on the shoulder. Suddenly, the person shifts its head back quickly, showing half of its face mssing, blood dripping from whgere its eye should be.
    The boy screams. The person lunges at his face , just inches away from him, a loud 'crack' fills the air and suddenly the persons head explodes and the boy is splattered with blood.

The boy is quickly joined by a young man with a scoped rifle. The man explains the zombie appocalypse after learning the boys story. The man takes the boy to the hideout. they make there way back to the hospital and find records on the boy, who hsis parents were , where he lived.

They plan to escape the city together to get to the boys home far in the country, and on the way meet a number of people. Both dead, and alive.

Along the way, the boy discovers the truths of the apocalypse, what caused it, why, who, where it started...

2. L a u r a

L a u r a New Member

I’d be careful with zombie apocalypses. To have that as a background plot, fine…but as the center plotline? It’s already been done. In order to make your story unique, you might want to think about adding a bit more to it. Ideas? Well, there’s always setting. Time period (Future? Past? Present?). Location (The ocean? An alternate universe? Two universes at once? Underground? In the sky?). And then you can have multiple plots weaving throughout your story as well. Of course, once you decide on a setting, these plots will be easier to come up with.

So. Overview of your idea? I like it. However, to make it unique, I’d add a bit more spice.

3. Corgz

Corgz New Member

it is set in the present, in a normal city... thats unique eough, isn't it?

4. Berber

Berber Active Member

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with Laura. What you described is basically the exact opening of the film 28 Days Later; a young man wakes up from a coma in a hospital that's completely abandoned, walks out to find the streets a bloody mess, enters a church where he's attacked by zombies and is saved by a couple of people with guns.

I'm not saying you can't work with it, but it has already been done in the context that you are stating.

5. Corgz

Corgz New Member

I've nevber heard of that movie :/

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I think you've described a cliche scene, I'm afraid. That's not a plot; it's a scene, and it's been done many times.

7. Berber

Berber Active Member

I wish I could say it wasn't popular, but it is one of the benchmark zombie films in the US and Britain. Pulled from wiki: "Twenty-eight days later, a bicycle courier named Jim (Cillian Murphy) awakens from a coma in the deserted St Thomas' Hospital. As he leaves, he discovers London deserted with signs of catastrophe everywhere. Jim is soon discovered and chased through the streets by psychotic people before being rescued by two survivors, Selena (Naomie Harris) and Mark (Noah Huntley), who kill Jim's pursuers with Molotov cocktails and explosives. After, they rush him to their hideout in the London Underground."

Like minstrel said, you haven't got much more than an overdone scene. If you want to work with it, you're going to have to find an angle that makes it unique. It's certainly a possibility, just needs more depth in thought.

8. Corgz

Corgz New Member

FML.

9. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

This. it seems more like a summarization of a scene and not a plot.

10. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 New Member

Isn't that near enough the opening of 28 Days Later?

11. Corgz

Corgz New Member

Okay, to clear things up. I have NEVER even heard of that movie until today, and i have checked the wiki and it is basically a lot like it. I now realise its similar and am giving it up :) and going on with my alice in wonderland liek story :)

12. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 New Member

Corgz please don't feel I'm personally trying to shoot down your ideas, that's not the case at all.

Just trying to save you from some frustration in the long term!

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

14. miss sunhine

miss sunhine New Member

Sounds very familar to lots of scary films i've watched, tbh.
    If you're not looking to publish it doesn't matter, but if this is something you'd like to try and publish i'd go with a different and opening and even a different story.
    Those openings were good but are a little boring now.
    x