Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Justin Phillips, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm saying I have a Facebook account.

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Oh, haha, I get it. You were making a general statement. I thought you were talking to someone specific.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I wish it was, but after looking at the polls things would say otherwise. Don't trust someone
    that wants to enforce a no fly zone over Syria when everyone else is saying it is not a good idea.

4. Link the Writer

Goooood morning everyone! :D I hope you all are having a wonderful morning today. The Elections are over (finally), and while I was neutral about the whole elections, I'm just glad we now know who the next president is going to be. It was the waiting that was killing me.

In the meantime, I'm now preparing for the eventual Auburn vs. Alabama game that's sure to come -- and really? I have to choose a side?! D: Why?!

But at any rate, hope you are having an excellent morning regardless.

Lyrical and Iain Aschendale like this.
  5. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

I was laughing my socks off and being wonderfully educated with this:

Link the Writer likes this.
  6. Link the Writer

Well, Facebook just got me off on a political rant. And no, I'm not even gonna put it in spoiler tags.

Sorry for getting political, but some of my best friends on other sites are terrified and desperate now because now we've got a guy who will ruin their lives because they happen to be LGBT+, or Latino/Latina, Muslim, or whatever else he doesn't like.We as a human race, are vile, disgusting creatures if this is what happens. I suppose it's easy to reject people if they're not part of your own culture or group.Fact of the matter here, there are minorities in America that will be affected by Trump. Would you rather they stay and get their lives ruined, or leave for a better life? So yeah, you need to help those minority groups because they're in a desperate situation right now. So much for human compassion and decency then...

This was in response to a Facebook feed detailing how the Canadian immigration site was closed, and people in the comments were saying, "Good! Stay way far away from us, Americans. We don't need you. We'll build a wall and make you pay for it!!"

Simpson17866 likes this.
  7. jim onion

jim onion New Member

All I can say, is I am completely satisfied with the outcome.

We deserve better candidates though. In fact, we deserve better than a corrupt government who serve the wealthy, and a two-party "democracy".

But. At least we chose the short-term solution. Meanwhile, I'd like to hope we all work toward a better long-term solution.

EDIT: Also quite positive the only "minority group" in peril, is the minority of illegals in the country, regardless of race, gender, or ethnicity. The misinformation, both about Trump *and* Hillary, has done nobody any favors for this entire campaign.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Iain Aschendale likes this.
  8. Link the Writer

Oh really? And what of the LGBT+ Americans? The Muslim-Americans? Think they feel safe now?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  9. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Depends how much of the new "Misinformation" kool-aid flavor they've been drinking. If they're here legally, then yes, they shouldn't even care.

10. Link the Writer

Have you missed the whole "We should deport Muslims!"/"Make a database for Muslim-Americans!"

And that's not all. We're talking about a man who...

- Thinks we should go after families of terrorists.
    - Thinks torture is OK even if it doesn't work.
    - Thinks we should use nukes, because "why do we have them if we're not using them?"

Simpson17866 likes this.
  11. jim onion

jim onion New Member

This is exactly what I mean about misinformation. :)

http://time.com/4437089/donald-trump-nuclear-weapons-nukes/

Regardless, everybody can argue day and night about who is the morally worse candidate, until they're red or blue in the face depending on their party bias. The rapist defending, criminal Clinton, or the "grab her by the hoo-ha", politically incorrect Trump.

What mattered to me was what they've done. Actions speak the loudest to me. Hillary's political track record was all I needed to know.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  12. Cave Troll

So after checking the election results it looks like we are gonna have a Trump at 276- Clinton 218.
    Suppose we dodged a bullet on this one, but what are we looking forward to? IDK.

13. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Regardless of your opinions of our new president elect, something remarkable happened last night. Hillary Clinton was basically anointed to become the next POTUS long before she even formally announced her candidacy. She was anointed by the political machinations of people far above us in power, and by the opinion-making machinations of our media. But the people still have a voice. And the people made it abundantly clear that no one picks ours president for us. Irrational and illogical the choice may be, but the people chose. The fact that none of the establishment wanted him on either side of the party is proof to me that our voice as a nation is not dead. We still pick our leader.

That inspires me because it means we are not Brazil. Much as I love my dear Brazil, politicians buy their way into power all the time. Successors are hand-picked for their positions (as Dilma was by Lula) and power changes hand largely without voice from the people.

But not here. Here, the people can still decide. Now we have to pray that the choice was the right one and that all of Trump's buffoonery was part of his ploy to get the free media attention. We have to hope that he will settle in and make good decisions for everyone. I was surprised by how much minority support he got last night. Everyone counted him out when it came to minorities. Same with the college educated. Maybe he can be the president for everyone after all. Hopefully.

Also, clearly the media doesn't know a damn thing about polling. Their confusion at how their national polls could have been so wrong was a source of much laughter in my house last night. My brother-in-law is in political analysis and he always warned us not to trust national polls because they suffer from serious confirmation bias. To hear he was right was pretty amusing.

jim onion likes this.
  14. Cave Troll

We have elected our first orange president. Guess there really is a first for everything. :p

15. Link the Writer

I guess America truely is the land of opportunity. :p

16. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Oh god, that reminds me of something I saw a few months ago, regarding the shade of our current and next president.

"Orange is the new black."

I don't know whether to giggle or frown, but that's pretty common for me these days.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  17. jim onion

jim onion New Member

@Lyrical I completely agree.

And that very same mentality of confirmation bias permeates its way into the word vomit people spew when they'd like to fantasize they're having intellectual, objective discussion.

Instead its just a back alley brawl with people taking cheap shots at each other and scoring the "points" they think they're making.

It becomes clear within the first thirty seconds whether or not the person I'm speaking with is even interested in what I have to say, or is coming into the "debate" with a closed mind and political predisposition to go rah-rah about.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Lyrical likes this.
  18. cydney

cydney Banned

I forgot what we're talking about. So what are we talking about?

Oh, that's right. We're talking about the same thing we always talk about! Just because we talk about it 24 hours a day doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it all the time, right?

Good grief. :(

Whatever. :)

19. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

I just remembered a science teacher in junior high school telling us that matter can only exist in three states. Solids, liquids and gas. I recall blurting out - "...what about ketchup ?" I don't know why this came to mind in this here and now, and on this forum in 2016 to boot.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  20. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

^ Still, the teacher was wrong. They don't teach you this in lower years for simplicity (lies-to-children) but plasma is one too. I used to read so much sciency stuff and so I would blurt this out every year in physics until year 10 (when we were actually taught about it). The teachers would not be best pleased :supergrin:There are 5 states (BEC) but only 4 occur naturally, Plasma, Gas, Liquid and Solid.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  21. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Had a horrible "random thought" today. A Freudian slip, as it is coined.

"Hi, I'd like a sausage, egg and cheese Brexit sandwich please."

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  22. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    To me it sounds more like some new hardware port on a computer. "Yeah, I need an HDMI to Brexit adapter, my boss won't spring for upgrading the projector."

jim onion and Cave Troll like this.
  23. Link the Writer

Brexit, Brexit, what's your fexit!

I-I'm so sorry, UKers. :( I'll take my coat and trump my butt out of here. You all may build a wall and make me pay for it.

24. Ebenezer Lux

Ebenezer Lux Member

coke zero is superior

25. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

It's a sign of modern life when you notice that several of your IRL friends are friends with the new county sheriff, and you're taking time seriously wondering if you want to ask him to friend you, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.