1. hirundine

hirundine Member

Ranting, rambling, and hopefully some progress...

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by hirundine, Jul 27, 2016.

Thought it would be helpful for me to start a progress thread and maybe get some accountability.

My one work in progress is in its very early stages: planning, research, and constructing a sort of "skeleton draft" that includes only a few key events. When I have finished this skeleton draft, I will edit it all so that it fits together, and then construct the first draft proper around that.

Current goals:

Plan the next scene - by Friday night.

Write the next scene - by next Friday night.

Re-do timeline of the build-up to the eruption to take into account the antagonist's appendicitis (I need to add on a week or maybe two). Possibly in a loose leaf folder in case I need to move things around further after I finish doing the research. Over the next couple of weeks or so.

Do more volcano research - can't put a time limit on that because I've only just ordered the main book I need for this and don't know when it will be delivered yet.

Okay. Here goes...

2. hirundine

hirundine Member

Finished planning the scene, nicknamed Dream Scene 1.

Am now having a hissy fit over the realisation that yes, actually, my scientists WILL have to evacuate during the climactic phase of the eruption. It won't have a major effect on the chapter I'm working on, but it means that before I can start working on the first draft proper, I'll have to do a total re-write of the climax chapter. I'll be left with something much more realistic than the previous scenario but it's a lot of work. Between this and the changes I already had to make in order to accommodate my antagonist's appendix, I'll have go back to the drawing board and create a new timeline. Oh, and the new setting means that my favourite character - whose last words are literally "I don't want to die in the dark" - will now in fact be dying outside, on the floor, actually in the dark. Well, probably not quite in the dark, but close enough. The immediate area will be lit, but he'll be able to see that it's dark beyond the lights. That's going to be a total nightmare.

But. At least I actually met one of my writing targets. That hasn't happened for a while.

3. hirundine

hirundine Member

To help me keep track of my progress for this chapter, here is the list of scenes.

DREAM SCENE 1 - RAGNAR - planned
    STORM BREAK SCENE -
    EMILY -
    DREAM SCENE 2 -
    RAGNAR -
    BANG!! SCENE -
    EMILY -

(Set of scenes I can't write until I've done more research)

ANNIKA SCENE -
    RAGNAR -
    KISS-OFF SCENE -
    EMILY -

I'll add stuff and cross stuff out etc to show where I'm up to. Hope it doesn't get as crazy as the last time I did this.

4. hirundine

hirundine Member

I've decided to keep working on the current chapter, because the scenes I'm currently writing won't be affected much by any of the changes I'm planning to make. But after that I'll have to focus on research and planning for a while.

Things I need to research

Volcanoes

Monitoring techniques and equipment
    Plinian eruptions - including information about each specific hazard, near and distant
    Mt. Pinatubo case study (The eruption itself)
    More detail about the buildup and eruption sequence
    Hazards encountered at Clark and the place the scientists evacuated to
    Mt. St. Helens eyewitness accounts - some of these are relevant
    ANYTHING I can find about LAACHER SEE
    (Laacher See is the volcano that actually erupts in my novel; it's been dormant for thousands of years so there's not much information out there. That's why I'm researching Pinatubo - the eruption there was a similar type and size.)

People and logistics
    Alert systems, exclusion zones, evacuations - general
    Alert systems, exclusion zones, evacuations - Pinatubo, including dates, distances, logistics, etc
    Volcano scientists - day to day lives, thoughts, thought processes, feelings (Pinatubo, Mt. St. Helens)
    Pinatubo - how they worked with the military, authorities, media, general public (see also Mt. St. Helens)
    Military - both general and specific to Germany, enough to make things believable
    Disaster response and relief - general, also specific to volcanoes

Setting
    Information about Laacher See and the towns/villages, countryside, and infrastructure around it
    General information about Germany would probably be useful
    Iceland (one of my main characters is from there)

5. hirundine

hirundine Member

Just discovered a flaw in my research that means I will have to relocate my characters and have them based in a different location than where I originally put them.

EVERYTHING else is now on hold until I've done probably a lot more research.

I'm not having a good day.

6. hirundine

hirundine Member

Well, technically I don't have to relocate them. It's whether it would be believable or not.

7. hirundine

hirundine Member

I have now done enough research to create a timeline for all the volcanic events during the novel - the buildup and the eruption.

If I read one more word about Mt. Pinatubo my head might actually explode.

8. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

@hirundine Please put me down for a beta read when this is finished, if you want a beta reader. I love love love any books/movies around natural disasters.

hirundine likes this.
  9. hirundine

hirundine Member

All my planning and research is on hold at the moment as I am going away for a few days from tomorrow. However I have now reached the stage where I have what I consider my key plot points down and know their place on the timeline, so I will be able to start the process of figuring out what happens in between those points when I get back. It feels to me like things are progressing quite slowly, but at least they are progressing.