1. Earthshine

Earthshine Member

Rapidly Developing Friendship

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Earthshine, Jan 30, 2014.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a short story (I don't work on short stories often, so it's kind of shaky ground for me). Anyway, in this story I have two characters. For the plot to work they need to develop a deep friendship, but the story only spans a couple of days. As I usually try to write novels, I'm used to developing a relationship much more slowly. So my questions are:

1. Do you think it's believable for two characters to become close friends within two days. Or will this just seem kind of ridiculous to the readers.

2. IF you think it can be done, how can I portray this relationship. How can I realistically reflect how they become friends in such a short space of time.

P.S. I should mention that these two characters go through a number of life-and-death situations together. I personally hope that going through a lot together could help to facilitate their rapid friendship.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks all.

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Generally, any intense situation can build bonds quickly.

Also, it's completely believable.
    A lot of indie movies span a few days and in the course the characters develop deep feelings for each other.
    I'd name a few but I tend to forget movie titles.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Intense shared experiences bring about intense emotions, and these can either bring people closer together or drive them apart. But also keep in mind that a house built quickly can collapse just as rapidly, and this is also true of relationships.

As Annie noted in Speed:
    And Jack was not back for Speed 2.

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Absolutely, you can develop close—and lasting—friendships very quickly. I know, because I've done so, and these people are still very much part of my life.

I think the modern word for that kind of quick attraction is 'click.' Sometimes you just click with somebody, and become instant friends. It's almost like love at first sight, without the sexual attraction. Something attracts you to this person, what they say, how they behave. You just like them right away, or at least you notice them right away. You start to talk, or do something together, and before you know it you're feeling very comfortable and talking about stuff you often can't bring yourself to say to other people.

Oddly, I find these kinds of friendships are never flashes in the pan. They last. The friendships that are built around mutual interests or other such things are the ones that can fade. But these instant ones, no. They're build on chemistry of some kind. Hard to explain. It's that 'click!'

As far as portraying this in a story, I'd develop that instant of meeting. What is happening when they first see each other or meet each other? What are the first impressions? Why do these people 'stand out' to each other? You don't tell us this, you show us this. Let one character watch what the other is doing, or let us witness their first conversation. Make them symbiotic from the start. What one starts, the other finishes, etc. When one needs something, the other provides it. Lots of stuff you can do. Like I said, it's like a love affair without the sexual attraction. If you play it like that, your readers will feel it ...and the fact that it happens quickly won't seem strange.

Echoesian likes this.
  5. Glacial

Glacial Member

Absolutely you can make it work. Especially if you're talking about life-and-death circumstances. Going through any kind of intense, emotional adventure can really bring two people together. It might not necessarily last, but in the span of those few days people can really grow to trust each other. It's happened to me too.

The thing is, first impressions can be really strong. Some people just click.

6. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

I haven't much information about your story but I think it is possible two person become the close friend in a short time.

7. Herbert H Hebert

Herbert H Hebert New Member

I'm thinking Lost In Translation.

I'd believe it, but only if both are exceptional people.