1. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Rate of decay

Discussion in 'Research' started by Chinspinner, Apr 4, 2015.

After three months in a partially exposed temperate environment, how much will a body have decayed?

Obviously a question for anyone with the relevant expertise/ research under their belt.

2. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

It depends a lot on the area the body has been in and what the weather conditions have been since the time it was deposited there. What sort of environment are you writing about? What time of year would it be? Saying that though there's no uniform way a corpse will decompose so you could write the conditions of the body to suit the environment it has been in or vice versa.

Basically It depends a lot on the exact conditions of the environment as to how much it would decompose. I'll have a look in my school books for you and see if I can be more specific for you :)

3. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

Ok so as an example, there's four stages of decomposition.
    Fresh, Bloat, Putrefaction and putrid dry. A carcass was left in a field in Nebraska in the Summer and after 80 days it was between putrefaction and putrid dry. It was quite advanced decay but not a skeleton.

Heres what it says in my book:

Putrefaction = Progressive loss of skin and soft tissues. Body deflates as decomposition gasses escape. body starts to dry out.

Putrid dry remains = Skin and soft tissues lost. Decay proceeds more slowly. Skeleton may become disarticulated through environmental and biological processes.
    Sorry for the amount i've wrote but its quite a complicated system this decomposition business!

(I'm not an expert, but I am currently studying forensics at university)

Hope this helps you :)

Chinspinner likes this.
  4. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Thanks very much @Shbooblie, very helpful. Looks like it will be some mummy looking thing, then.