1. Raven484

Raven484 Contributing Member

Raven484's very slow progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Raven484, May 31, 2016.

Been doing mostly research and beta reading lately, so I decided it was time to kick myself in the butt and get back to work. My goals for the next 4 months are as follows:
    June: Start outline for Book 1 of my series.
    Week1- Create Characters and develop character relationships.
    Week2- Outline first five chapters. Outlines scenes in those chapters.
    Week3- Outline chapters five thru ten, with scenes.
    Week4- Outline chapters eleven thru fourteen, with scenes.

July: Write chapters one thru 4.
    August: Write chapters five thru eight.
    September: Write chapters nine thru twelve.
    October: Finish chapters thirteen and fourteen. Begin editing and Beta reads.

I am just getting use to a software program the wife bought me called Writeitnow 5. I like it, so the outlining will probably go fast this next month. I want to be ready to write or be writing my story by July 1. I am going on a little personal vacation by myself for a week in Florida. From breakfast to dinner, I plan to be writing while sitting by the pool.

I also will dedicate two hours a night to this project during the week. I plan 4 to 6 hours on the weekend. When I begin my story, I will try to keep a word count. I am thinking first draft to be around 90-125K depending on how much I ramble.

I am making this thread as kind of a motivator for myself. So I will post as I go. I am also quitting smoking at this time, so all this could just be a waste by early next week as I kill someone who irritates me. Don't worry though, I have planned out a schedule that I can follow once I get computer use in prison!

LinnyV likes this.
  2. Raven484

Started a night early so I could get the hang of the Writeitnow software. Was on about three hours. Downloaded all my research files and created six characters and their relationships to each other in the story. Also created the folders for chapters and scenes. For the scene template, I added 10 for each chapter for the start. I set up the first fourteen chapters this way.
    Created at least 10 events that happen during the first three chapters. This is a pretty handy tool to help outline the chapter. You can drag the events eventually into the scenes from the chosen chapter. It's pretty sharp and adds a little more detail for your outline. Having fun with it.
    Added the six characters to the chapters and scenes they will be in for chapters one and two. Very helpful when complete as you can map out events, characters, and sequence and have it almost like a flow chart of what is going on. With a click of button you can print it out and take it with you on the go. In a couple weeks I will post a pick when I get a few chapters done.
    Can't say enough about this new outlining software. I am a production manager during my day job, so outlining and scheduling are a key part of my daily life. I tried the trial version of Scrivener, but it lacked a lot of the tools I am finding with Writeitnow. Plus, the new software is way easier to us than Scrivener, but that could be because Scrivener taught me some basic things that came natural with Writeitnow.
    Started late last night, was up until 3:00am. Definitely going to start around nine tonight. Getting old, three hours sleep is not enough these days.

3. Raven484

On June 1st and 2nd, I worked on the outline and character creation for about 7 hours, so a little ahead of myself this week. I added 10 more characters and finished creating Chapter 1's scenes. There were 7 in all. Each has the characters associated with the scene installed, and an event was created that helps describe the main purpose for the scene. Later tonight I will be adding locations and a brief summary for each scene.
    I am going to have to alter my main goals this month in a way that I have to create characters as I outline the chapters. This is easier than stated above, I was losing track getting a little ahead of myself. Now I will be creating the scene template, adding characters in the scene, adding main events of the scene, adding locations, then doing brief summary for said scene. Then I will move on to the next. This will help me keep the timeline of my story straight.
    So far so good on the smoking. I have not killed anyone yet, but I am finding it a little hard to concentrate sometimes. It has been two days, this morning was the roughest after I woke up. My wife has been real quiet around me and keeping her distance. God bless her, she knows me. Lol.

4. Raven484

Had a pretty good weekend, spent about 8 hours adding locations, events and characters for first five chapters.
    Tonight outlining chapter 2 and hopefully three. We will see how it goes.
    Devoted time has been good. Work done about a "B" so far. Should have a good night tonight though.

5. Raven484

I have not updated since I started, so I figured I would see how everything worked out.
    I was able to meet my goals for July and August. Eight solid chapters in my opinion. I have had them beta read and overall I have received mostly positive results.
    July was great for me. I went to Florida on vacation and really did some good work everyday. July was also a camp nanowrite month, so having a daily goal to meet really helped get me ahead. August was okay, but it burned me out a little.
    I spent September mostly playing with the outline of chapters nine through 12. But as far as writing, I produced nothing for the whole month for my wip. It is not from writers block, just mentally exhausted from the nanowrite month.
    October has been fair so far. I spend about two hours a day writing. I feel fresh again, but I am definitely pacing myself better. There has be talk of some writers doing a nanowrite in January and I have been thinking of joining them. It is a lot of fun.
    I am about 60K words into my story, a little behind where I thought I would be. Taking a month off did not help but I feel fresh. This is the most I ever put into one story, so I am happy about that.
    Even being behind, this is still the best I have ever felt in my life. I have a long way to go, but I fell now that I will be able to finish the first part of this story.

6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributing Member Contributor

I'm one of those playing with the idea of doing a NaNoWriMo-type thing in January. I know it's not going to happen in November for me.

Interesting what you say about the mental exhaustion after the big writing push. All the more reason for me to get my WIP revised and (self) published before I try anything of the kind.

60,000 words since June--- that's good. How long do you expect your novel to be in the end?