1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Contributed Member Contributor

Re-introduction: a horror writer wanders back in.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Iain Aschendale, Apr 26, 2016.

Well, kind of a re-introduction. About a year and a half ago, I had a story that I was all fired up about, joined this and a couple other forums, finished up the story and....

Dunno, ran out of steam.

So now it looks like I was trying to game the system here. I assure you, that's not the case, but it's time for me to hunker down in front of the keyboard, get back to work, and become a good forumite along the way.

I'm Iain, I live in Japan, and I imprison my personal demons on the printed page to keep them from clawing my eyes out from the back. I'm an English teacher by trade, so a lot of the criticism I find myself offering is on grammar, punctuation, and general word usage. I hope that's a good thing; I've read quite a few stories that would have been very engaging had minor errors not kept ripping me out of them, but that just may be a personal fetish.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to meet you all online, and at such time as both the system and I feel I've paid my dues, I hope to even have a couple things to post.

Lifeline and BruceA like this.
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

Welcome back, Iain! :superhello:

Oh, being a language teacher is an advantage, I think, 'cause the editing/revision process is so much easier when you're used to spotting errors, grammar and syntax mishaps, and whatnot. Of course, from the reader POV it can be a bit annoying if it actually ruins your reading experience. :bigeek: But then again, I think many of us aspiring writers have that problem: we look at the story we read more critically than an average reader in an attempt to learn how to do it better. ;)

Anyway, here's our New Member Quick Start Guide if you need to refresh your memory.

See you around!

-Kat

3. Lifeline

Lifeline The Dark - not in Wonderland Supporter Contributor

Well hello there :)

Sorry I didn't get around to welcoming you more recently but hey.. at least I got to it! And I second what @KaTrian said, wether it is SPAG, or POV, or plot-related problems. Straighten out the ones in your own writing and move on I'd say.