1. BecauseIWasBored

BecauseIWasBored New Member

Readers and Viewers Too Impatient?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by BecauseIWasBored, Feb 14, 2011.

I have a bit of a habit of reading reviews to books/films/shows, mainly because I like to see other people's thoughts on a lot of work. The ones I really like to read are the negative reviews because I get a little more insight.

One thing I've noticed becoming more frequent in complaints now, especially when it involves a series, is people complaining about disliking the moments that are meant to help develop characters and wanting to go straight to the "action," whatever that might entail.

Maybe it's just because I enjoy watching characters interact, but I find it really odd how often I hear this now. I know that there's a lot of stories where character development can drag on for a long time that just seem to be taking up space, but it seems like a lot of the times people seem only interested if there's something exciting (again, whatever that might entail) happening in every moment of the story.

So are readers/viewers just getting more impatient and/or have shorter attention spans, or are they just being heard more often?

2. w176

w176 Contributing Member Contributor

The pacing of story telling has varied through the times. Right now we have a generally very fast paced story telling, with a strong visual focus, even in the written works. Compared to lets say the first half of the 20th century. If Tolkien written The Hobbit and LOTR today the pacing would been very different.

The fast storytelling, it is not good, nor bad. It is just a trend. There have been other periods of time when people preferred fast or slow storytelling in different cultures, depending on every thing from printing method available, to how big part of the consumers was alphabetics, the local oral tradition etc. Dickens storytelling for example was quite fast paces because of the publishing format in magazines.¨

Trends come and go. And there is always counter trends, and exceptions.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I think TV is partly to blame for this. Books have been getting shorter over time. People just don't have the patience (and, in some cases, the time) to read a 800 page book (or even a 500 page book for that matter). It looks like the big books are reserved for those who really enjoy reading.

4. guamyankee

guamyankee Contributing Member

Good point about TV. Bigger and better TV's, more channels, on demand viewing, etc...