1. Kendria Perry

Kendria Perry Member

Sick of complaining

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kendria Perry, Apr 19, 2013.

Am I the only one who's so sick and tired of people constantly complaining about everything? I don't just mean complaining about how all books suck nowadays or how all movies suck nowadays (though that's incredibly annoying as well), I mean preaching on about how (insert country here; it's usually America) sucks or making endless "sad commentaries" on what is wrong with our society. It's nihilistic, tiresome, and irritating to those of us who, oh I don't know, ACTUALLY WANT TO ENJOY LIFE. Like me. I can't enjoy ANYTHING at all these days without people saying something or insulting me to bribe me out of enjoying it. I like a recently released movie? People call me an idiot or retard. I like an anime or manga series? People moan about how "pathetic" I am, and how I contribute to the "sorry" state society is in right now. I'm an American? People call me every rude slur in Merriam-Webster, as if Americans are somehow sub-standard human beings. And let's not forget the general religious hatred (I'm a Zen Buddist.)

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, I just really needed to this off my chest, after some asshole on Goodreads told me I shouldn't be allowed to breed or raise children, just because I wrote a negative review of his oh-so-precious Choke. (The horror!)

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

First, yes, I get tired of the "ugly American" thing, especially coming from other Americans. As to the response to your review - delete, ignore, block the guy and move on. Some people just can't handle honesty.

3. Kendria Perry

Kendria Perry Member

Wow, somebody actually responded to this! I'm shocked.

Most of the kids at my school are pretty mundane, but I do have a few (girl)friends. One doesn't like Nabokov. *sob*

4. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

check out the unappy thread and maybe try move this post there...

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That is in fact what we chose to have ONE Not Happy Thread. We don't discourage creating other happy thread in addition to the Happiness Thread.

Perpetual Eeyores are tedious.

6. Kendria Perry

Kendria Perry Member

I just might make that my sig.

7. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

But I love Eeyore :( I don't think he's tedious.

*Thanks for reading this*

8. slamdunk

slamdunk New Member

It sounds like you are hanging out with the wrong people. I don't see why people would call you any or all those things (unless you are doing something to trigger those reactions that you haven't mentioned here?).

9. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

You don't say how old you are, but if you're receiving such snide remarks and put downs because of things as unimportant as the books/movies you like - I'm guessing you are a teenager hanging about with fellow teenagers. if I'm right - don't worry it will pass. If I'm wrong - find new friends to hang around with.

10. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

This is what I was thinking.

That's something I've noticed too. I think it's become more socially acceptable to hate things and hate yourself than to love things and love yourself. Teenage years are a hard time and there's a lot of angst. Yes, I'm speaking from personal experience. lol I don't think I could have stomached being in the same room as my early/mid teenage years self. People grow up and either grow out of it or become hateful adults. The thing to remember is it doesn't last forever. I grew up, moved away, and made new friends. Things change.

At the same time I feel it's important not to put people down for their negativity. Sometimes people are in a funk or going through something difficult. It's more of when it becomes a perpetual state that it's annoying or unhealthy. Balance is important. I try to treat people around me with care because I don't know their life and I don't know their struggles. I think we should all be kind to one another. It's okay to be down or mad about things from time to time or in times of great stress just not constantly.

11. Kendria Perry

Kendria Perry Member

Yes, I am a teenager, and I honestly think it has to do with the enormous popularity of nihilism today. I hate nihilism, it's the stupidest "philosophy" ever. I'll stick to the writings of Confucius, thank you.

12. sanco

sanco New Member

I don't see how nihilism is enormously popular today, nor do I see its relevance to how people judge the standard of art, but I do understand your plight.

13. Kendria Perry

Kendria Perry Member

Two names:

Chuck Palahniuk

Bret Easton Ellis

That is all.

14. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

First off, I lol'd at the irony of your post.

But yeah, I agree. There seems to be a tendency to view today's society as somehow worse than the preceding generation's, and that generation as even worse than the one before. People are always so eager to trash-talk today's society, and yes, Americans. This happens a lot in Canada. I like Americans! They're friendly and open people.

Anyway. Hang in there.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto here!

someone complaining about others complaining is a tad comedic, as well as ironic, isn't it?

hopefully, you'll be able to take it all with a box of morton's one day soon, sweetieheart...

love and consoling hugs, maia

16. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Well, Kendria, if you're a teenager, Bret Easton Ellis has been writing for longer than you've been alive.

People always complain. Kids always have it easier "these days." You know, when I was a kid, we didn't have a remote -- we had to get up off the couch, and turn the channels, and we only had 5... With your kids it'll be something else.

Some people, not just teens, just like to complain. That's the way they are, and that's all they do. You really just have to do your best to either not be around them (which is sometimes impossible) or to ignore them as best you can. Take it with a grain of salt, and try to see the comedic value in it (because there often is some.)

And we Americans can be a pretty narcissistic, shallow lot. When we put out there that anyone who doesn't like us doesn't like us "for our freedoms," it's like the petulant girl who claims "no one likes me because they're all jealous I'm so pretty." The best you can do is act in a way so as not to reinforce the stereotype. I'm probably pegged pretty easily as an American, and I embrace it. I can deal with the good and the bad and laugh at some of what we do. I realize that we're not revered abroad, and don't think we're any better than anyone else.

17. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty New Member

I was going to tell you how silly you sound, and that most people don't understand nihilism, but then I realized that I just don't care.

18. Kendria Perry

Kendria Perry Member

Well that's allright with me, 'cause I don't really care about nihilism ;)

About Americans, I never said we were teh best people evar, just that we really don't deserve all the hate.

19. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

Hi Kendria,

I really like the fact that you're complaining about complaining. It's like Inception you know? Dreams within dreams. Keep up the good work!

20. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty New Member

It was a nihilist joke.

Everyone is always going to hate America including Americans. That is the beauty of democracy. We all have the freedom to hate.

21. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You're missing out. Nihilism is the only philosophical topic worth reading about. :) (I'm exaggerating, but only a little.)

22. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Darn, I was gonna say that!

Anyway, nothing wrong with teenage angst. It's good to rant it all out every now and then. My advice: ignore the people that get on your nerves. Or try to educate them. Surprisingly many people actually listen to the voice of reason, especially when f2f.

23. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 New Member

You sure you weren't dealing with trolls Kendria?

24. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

It's nice when true irony just springs up naturally like this :D

Anyway, hang in there, be yourself, stop complaining and do something productive! :D (said with the best possible intentions!)

Thank you, and have a good day!