1. just words...

just words... New Member

reading suggestions, fiction

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by just words..., Jun 10, 2009.

I've read most of the classics and most of the modern classics. I've read nearly all of the books that have been in various charts and I've read most of the best sellers.
    What I'm looking for is a really good couple of books that I might not of thought of reading or might not of heard of. Not obscure exactly, but the type that easily gets missed.
    I'm running out of things to read and most of my friends don't read that much so can't recommend any:(
    (any genre)
    Kimm XXX

edit; if you do have any ideas that are obscure but just really good then let me know, sorry.

2. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    If your looking for something fairly interesting, I just finished a book called The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall, which was really good. Things that haven't been heard of...but that aren't obscure, hard for me to avoid the obscure, anything by Tim O'Brien is quite emotional, looking at profile you are a Jane Austen fan. Check out a short story called Janeites by Rudyard Kipling (if you can find it), I think you might get a kick out of that.

3. Wade_John

Wade_John New Member

darkly dreaming dexter, dearly devoted dexter, dexter in the dark, dexter by design (sequentially)

4. just words...

just words... New Member

thanks!
    i probably wasn't clear, sorry. obscure stuff is fine i just didnt mean to go out of your way to find someting that has only ever sold one copy sort of thing.
    i will look at the raw shark texts. thanks for checking my profile to see what i'd like!
    kimxx

5. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

Have you read "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant?

Awesome book. I have no idea if it was on any bestsellers list though.

6. just words...

just words... New Member

no i haven't.
    I'll look for it, thanks!

7. WashingtonIrving

WashingtonIrving New Member

Wise Blood - Flannery O'Connor. Good, but in a 'I don't entirely get this' way. Crazy old-time religion.

8. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

If you like science fiction/fantasy, try just about anything by Lucius Shepard. I started with The Ends of the Earth, which is a very fine collection of short stories. (He's won various awards for his work, but I've yet to meet one other person who has heard of him before. o_O )

9. Omisoc

Omisoc New Member

I second the Lucius Shepard idea. I am currently reading him.

10. Lil Miss Me

Lil Miss Me New Member

Some of the Best Books I Ever Read

Oh my! I've read so many good ones lately...."The Diary of Anne Frank" is AWESOME although it does get a little slow towards the end. "Little Women" rocks my socks off forever and eternity. A book called Ophelia which was mind blowing and The Ugglies the Pretties and the Specials were three heart attacks in the form of words. Hope that helps, I don't know who ophelia is by but the ugg./prett./spec. series is by Scott Westerfield, Little Women is by Louisa May Alcott, Anne Frank by Anne Frank (duh). and I don't know the author for it but "The true diary of a part time indian" was STELLAR! hope that helps! :D

11. embersglow

embersglow New Member

I'd recommend reading "Wicked" and "Son of a Witch" by Gregory Maguire as well, I'm sure you've heard of the musical "Wicked" which is inspired by the novel (although most definately not based upon it!) It basically tells of the Wicked Witch of the West before Dorothy rocked up from Kansas, why Elphaba (the Witch) is wicked, her whole life story. It's a really dark and gritty book and can be difficult to get your head around at times but you soon grow used to his style; I love it now :)

If you're a fan of Twilight then I'd suggest reading the House of Night Series by P.C. and Kristen Cast. You can pick up on sections where the authors are trying to sound young and cool but if you can forgive that, then they're decent novels about a girl just turned into the most powerful vampyre there is.

Coming away from fantasy and more into general fiction, I'd suggest something along the lines of "The Bell Jar" by Slyvia Plath or "If You Could See Me Now" by Cecelia Ahern - they both made me cry so much! :)

12. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Not sure if the OP is still looking for suggestions, but 2 books that are less known but are absolutely fantastic are:

Wake by Lisa McMann: About a girl who enters other people's dreams if they're in close proximity. In the dream, she makes eye contact w/the dreamer, and they often plead for her to help them, but she can't figure out how to do that. It's written in present tense, third-person omniscient, with terse, almost clipped sentences that amazingly do a lot emotionally. This is the first in a 3-book series.

Z for Zachariah by Robert O'Brien: About a girl who seems to be the last person alive on earth, having survived a nuclear fallout of some sort, soon finds that there's someone else who's survived. Dystopic thriller.