1. shakespear57

shakespear57 New Member

Publishing?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by shakespear57, Sep 15, 2012.

Hi guys :)

I was wondering, if I was looking to get a story published (i'm not yet but i'm working on one) how do I go about finding a publisher?

And what exactly does sending it to the publisher involve?

Thanks in advance :) :) xx

2. Crystal Parney

Crystal Parney New Member

Go to your local library. In the research section there will be writer's market (and some other books as well). Writer's market is my favorite. It has several publishers, small presses, and agents listed. The book also has parts that help with writing queries and cover letters. You can also do research online. Search publishers that publish the kind of story you are writing (make sure they publish your genre). Before you want to start sending your ms out to publishers, you might want to try querying agents. It is better to have agent, although it's usually as hard to get an agent as it is to get a publisher. But with some of the smaller presses, or niche presses, you don't always need an agent. Hope this helps!

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I think shakespear57 is talking about short stories.

Go to duotrope.com. It has a list of markets you can submit to. Usually you want to include a cover letter along with the submission (you can do a Google search for cover letter format and what to include). Sometimes magazine guidelines might ask to include something else (short bio, previous publishing credits).

4. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

I find duotrope.com fascinating. You have to register to get the detailed information on places you can publish. But even the standard search is useful. Clicking through and looking at the web sites for the places you can submit to shows that there is a large number, and wide variety of such places.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are you asking about 'stories' [i.e., short stories], or did you mean a novel/book?

it would be good to know, before we waste time telling you about how the wrong one gets published...

many new writers make the mistake of calling a novel a 'story' which only confuses matters... helps to learn the lingo, when starting out...