1. DragonGrim

DragonGrim Contributing Member

Ready for agent. Questions about Quarry content.

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by DragonGrim, Nov 23, 2009.

This is what I have: the hook line, the one paragraph summary, and the a “thank you read more” thing at the bottom.

Here are my questions.

1. How many paragraphs do I need if I have no writer credits.

2. In examples, I’ve seen a paragraph where the author tells the agent why he or she has chosen said agent. How important is that, and how should I go about it if I’ve only chosen the agent from a list?

3. Where should the name of the novel and word count appear? Should I give exact word count? Should it be a single sentence at the bottom of the hook line?

This is how it is laid out:

Date

Agent name
    Agent address

Dear Agent:

Hook line.

One paragraph summary.

Finally, a line thanking agent and asking them if they would like to read the full manuscript.

That’s what I got. Thanks.:)

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's 'query'... 'quarry' is either one's prey, or a place where stone is cut from...

what do you mean by, 'thank you read more'?... it makes no sense...
    it's still 3 paragraphs, because your credits would go in the last one, which also contains the offer to send sample chapters/full ms and the 'thank you for considering' the work...

it never hurts to start out by saying why you are querying that particular agent, so they won't know you only closed your eyes and pointed to a list... i always recommend doing that, though some may disagree...

in the first paragraph, so the reader doesn't have to go hunting for it... one never gives the exact word count... round it off to the nearest 100 or 500... and yes, that info should be in one-sentence, along with what market the book is meant for... such as:

or however you want to word it...

hope this helps... if you want some tips from the pros on writing effective queries, you can email me and i'll forward them to you...

love and hugs, maia

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

*laughing* Oh!

I didn't get the "Quarry" reference at all. I thought it was the title of his story or something. :redface:

4. DragonGrim

DragonGrim Contributing Member

Thanks Mam! This will help very much. So the last line should be something like this?

--- Thank you for considering *name of novel.* I can send the full manuscript or sample chapters at your request. ---

Thanks for the offer to send me the tips, but I did follow your links and I’ve already written out the letter except what I’ve asked about.

Cog: I’m embarrassed. I often skip over things when I read, especially if it’s boring. Neither of the words really make sense to me. Query means to question, so it’s a question letter? I guess so. I’m asking them if they will consider my novel. Who would have thought?

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, it is a question. Basically, your query is, "This is what I have written. Would you like to see the complete manuscript in consideration of a publishing contract?"