1. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Daggers, dirks, and other short blades

Discussion in 'Research' started by Lea`Brooks, May 21, 2016.

Hola!

In my fantasy WIP, my MC carries dual blades. Thus far, I've been calling them "daggers" but the term is starting to annoy me. It's too generic and makes me feel like an amateur (which I am, but I don't want the reader to know that). But I honestly don't know the difference between a dagger, a dirk, a short sword, and a long knife. During my research, some people say it's all about use. Daggers are more for stabbing and jabbing, while short swords are used for swinging. But then other people say it's about length -- daggers are shorter than short swords. (Also, it's really hard to research weapons because it always takes me to some video game forum. -_-) I don't know. So hopefully some of y'all can help me.

My MC has two sheathed blades that hang from her hips. They're somewhat short, the blade somewhere between 8-12 inches in length. She does a lot of quick slashing with them, maybe even a few spin moves. So more movement and less... jabbing. So two things:

1) What's the difference between daggers, dirks, long knives, and short swords?
    2) From the description I gave above, which weapon would be better suited to my MC?

Please and thanks! :D

Lifeline likes this.
  2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

A dagger has two edges, a dirk has a single edge. A long knife is up to 18 inches, after that it's a short sword. At about 28 inches it's just a sword.

Sounds like your character uses either a ring dagger,

or a karampit

Lifeline likes this.
  3. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

The answer to number 2 is it depends on if you're going for realism, or style.

4. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Thank you! Those ring daggers seem pretty perfect. They'll do exactly what I need them to.

Uh..... Both?

5. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Slashing is useless against anything better than chain armour, and spinning is more or less an open invitation to get stabbed in the back. If you want duel wielding, I'd recommend going for a long sword and parrying dagger.

I've done a lot of weapons research due to having to work out what weapons I'm giving people in my own fantasy novel, and its really strange to see how much I thought I knew was wrong, and I'm still no expert.

6. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

My education of the day.. how to differentiate between counterterrorism knifes and the garden variety. Thanks @Jack Asher , this start and a bit off google have thrown me - again :D