1. Tigress

Tigress New Member

Random concepts morphing into key plot elements

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Tigress, Feb 23, 2010.

I've just had a major plot breakthrough in my novel and it got me wondering if other writers experience this same type of enlightenment.

In Chapter one of my story, the heroine, Tygra, is taking a walk through the forest with a friend. When writing that scene, I decided they needed a destination for their walk so that it wasn't just a mindless ramble in the woods and I introduced some ruins into the storyline to supply that destination.

They were, in my mind at the time, a minor plot element. I used the ruins a bit later in the story, but again, as just a plot helper and nothing more. Until now.

For the past couple of days I've been struggling with the question of "why". Why had Tygra had a vision of a volcanic island? What was its significance? Why there and not somewhere else? And, most importantly, what would they find once that reached that place?

Then, waking me up before 6:00am this morning, the answer had come to me! The ruins. Well, their polar opposite actually but still the ruins were the "why".

So, I'm just curious, do other writers experience this? A random element of a story, created for some minor purpose, turning into a major plot item as the tale unfolds?

2. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

This happens to me frequently. I guess I could describe it as something I already have down that I sort of can build and expand upon. Instead of thinking of something entirely new I am basically just creating new and stronger connections. Not saying that I don't think of new things but in relation to your question...yes.

Best, Whiskey

3. Endricte

Endricte New Member

Oh yeah. This happens to me pretty much in all of my lengthy stories. It's a very gratifying feeling, and a great way to strengthen a story.

4. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

All the time. It's how I build plots, by connecting seemingly meaningless fragments of events and imagery into something whole.

5. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

I love when that happens. I'll write a minor scene, and later on I'll suddenly have a breakthrough and go back to revise that scene into a major part of my plot.

6. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

I think this is called development. I hope it happens to all writers, otherwise all stories would be very 1 dimensional.