1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Narcissism quotes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jazzabel, Aug 5, 2014.

I recently came across a very interesting and well-written article that attempts to explore the phenomenon of narcissism. From Marvel-style villains to micro-managers, politicians to movie stars, narcissists make memorable characters readers (and writers!) love to hate. Superficially, these people just have too high an opinion of themselves, sometimes bordering on ridiculous. But what's more interesting is what's below the surface:
    You can read the whole article here http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolution-the-self/201404/9-enlightening-quotes-narcissists-and-why

obsidian_cicatrix and Lemex like this.
  2. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I like this one, though it hits a little close to home:

"Shyness has a strange element of narcissism, a belief that how we look, how we perform, is truly important to other people."

André Dubus

3. jazzabel

My favourite is "No one has probably helped me more with my narcissism than my dog.” ~ Tucker Max :D

4. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

kim jong-un and his father etc spring to mind!

I remember a while ago i came across a quote (cant remember where) that essentially being shy, ashamed or embarrassed is a weird twist on narcissism, because we truly believe that other people care. Which is why i take pride walking down the street naked and think nothing of it. "Good morning sir, madam, just getting the paper. Cheerio"

EDIT: after butchering that quote, i found the original. However Stevesh beat me to it.

jazzabel likes this.
  5. jazzabel

I love the stream of consciousness comment @Lae :D I think @stevesh might agree with you ;)

6. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

Anyone who unequivocally uses the term "narcissist" negatively (with the same general kind of negativity that people typically use the term "psychopath"), reads that quotation, and understands it, is in for quite a paradigm shift.

7. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

This is the one that stands out to me. I think there's a very fine line between loving oneself enough to bolster self-esteem, and giving oneself an air of self-importance that tends to rub people up the wrong way. I have a tendency, when confronted by someone who appears to have hallmarks of a narcissistic personality, to want to protect them. Negative comments and hopes to prick at their conscience will only force them to seek the approval of their airbrushed mirror image more.

But then again... telling the difference between a narcissist and an outright dick can be tricky. :confuzled: I'm no professional so I generally try to err on the side of caution.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I haven't read the full article yet, because I'm hideously hungover, but what I've read so far has been fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

jazzabel likes this.
  9. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

Otherwise known as a narce-hole?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  10. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

@outsider Ba-dah-boom! *Sound of crash cymbal.*

outsider likes this.
  11. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]