Reason behind your username

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Arannir, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Dragonport

Dragonport New Member

"Dragonport" is the rough translation of one of my hometowns (a bit south of Shanghai) and sounds cooler than my primary hometown "Lukewarm city."
    I use the handle for everything as I feel my real name looks sort of awkward and outlandish on a screen. I don't have an English name and don't plan on getting one, since I can't imagine being called anything else and I've have nothing in mind.

2. Dean Stride

Dean Stride Senior Member

Your primary hometown wouldn't happen to be situated west of "Cold Cottage" and east "Hot Hills", would it?

3. Dragonport

Dragonport New Member

No it's actually situated south of Wake up city and north of Typhoon-port.

4. Dean Stride

Dean Stride Senior Member

The one above "Bad Hair Day town"?

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Ginger is my real name and Coffey was the last name of a guy I had a very short crush on as a young teen. I always thought the name Ginger Coffey sounded nice. And I forgot it was ey and not ee when I registered but meh, no matter. :)

6. rkwheels

rkwheels New Member

Well my username is pretty simple. RK are my initials and Wheels is a...defining feature of myself.

7. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

It's my own name. :rolleyes:

8. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

So interesting, reading the name inspirations for everyone. Mine is a combination of my favourite Sade song and jazz, which I also love. I suck at names, so I was rather pleased with myself when I thought of it. :)

9. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Heh. I always thought your name was based on Jezebel from the Book of Kings. :oops: I guessed the jazz part, so I got half of it right at least.

10. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

My real name is Mike Brown, and I've lived most of my life in Maine. Hence, my username is MainerMikeBrown.

11. DreamingAshes

DreamingAshes New Member

It's a username that stuck after I wrote a 6-part poem in a week called "Ashes In The Sand Of Dreams".

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

How very Maine of you. :)

13. Hagi

Hagi Member

Hagi is basicly the way people called me over the internet when I told them my normal name (I have a hebrew name 'Haguy', people are more comftorable saying Hagi, and so am I)

14. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Well, it is, but I don't read the Bible, so my biblical references usually come via pop songs :D Also, female characters in literature resonate with me.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

mine is as simple as it gets...

i'm a mother of 7 birth kids + countless mentees and others all over the globe who've 'adopted' me... and my name is 'maia'...

16. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

My username is a mesh of my real name and the pseudonym "surname" @T.Trian and I came up with, which, in turn is a mesh of my Finnish maiden name and his Bulgarian surname. One German writer thought it's a wordplay and my real name is Kate Ryan... :)
    The reason why it's not K.Trian is just to sort of... avoid confusion with T's username.
    In some other places, my nick is Wombattle, but for some reason I'm too tempted to start trolling if I have a humorous username...

I thought so too x)

17. Smitty91

Smitty91 Member

I chose my username simply because Smith is my last name and "Smitty" is a nickname usually for someone with the last Smith. The "91" part of my username is simply the year I was born in. :)

18. rory

rory Active Member

I always like hearing the stories behind usernames. As for me, my horse's name was Rory. I lost her recently so it's a nice, if painful, reminder of how special she was and will always be to me.

19. Morgan Willows

Morgan Willows New Member

Mine's my pen name. I picked it because the initials are the same as my real name, as is the length, so if I ever get to do book signings, I won't have to change my signature, haha. I also wanted to be able to publish under a name of ambiguous gender so I'd have a better chance with more publishers.

20. Dresden260

Dresden260 Corrupt Diplomat

Sitting by a Fountain, Watching the world go by.
    Dresden depending on how you look at it is either for Dresden, Germany or The Dresden Files. I probably picked it for both :)

21. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

I made up the word "fivvle" when I was like five years old to try and describe a green, goopy villain with a floppy head extension on "Winnie the Pooh" to my parents. Ten points to whoever knows what I'm talking about. "Fivvle" describes something sticking out from the top of your head, like Alfalfa's hairdo from Little Rascals. If you have a piece of hair sticking up on your head, that is a "fivvle" to anyone in my family. I get them all the time from the way I sleep or something. I figured it would be a fitting internet name for me. I like making up names and sometimes words, and that's a pretty writer-like thing to do, right?

22. 7thMidget

7thMidget New Member

The first time I created an account in an online forum, I didn't know what to use as a nickname and my sister very randomly told me to use "Seventh Dwarf" (written in Portuguese), from Snow White, for no special reason, although the fact that I was still very young and, therefore, small must have played a part. Later, when I first started drifting towards forums written in English, I mistakenly translated it as "Seventh Midget" instead of "Dwarf", but I will keep it that way forever as a tribute to my ignorance.

23. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

My username, not only here but almost everywhere on internet, is actually a random password that yahoo mail gave me some 10 years ago when I couldn't remember my login data...including the stupid "Security question" of course... So yahoo mailed me a random word (8 letters + 3 digits)... Now tell me I'm not the coolest person EVAH, using meaningless random words to identify himself? :D

24. graphospasm

graphospasm Member

"Graphospasm" means "writer's cramp," an affliction from which I suffer because I'm a writer and I write a lot and... it made sense at the time, I swear.

25. MissJuli

MissJuli New Member

My name is Juli. People started calling me Miss Juli in college. There's a Strindberg play entitled Miss Julie and I guess it stuck. I also teach dance so that's what the students call me.
    I'm married now but who cares?