Tags:
  1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Reasons for Sidekicks In My Book

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MilesTro, Jul 19, 2014.

I just realize my main character , Jaden, in War Beast is overpower. He has the power to transform into a tornado, which can destroy everything in his path. Jaden is like sonic the hedgehog meets the Tasmania Devil. He also has two friends, a fox girl who can shoot fire from her tail, and a boxer dog who can turn his fists into stone. Although they are his best friends, what would be the point of having them when he can do all the fighting without their help? He can just take over the fight without a problem. Plus he can endanger his friends if they get in his way. If he can do that, then why have side kicks?

2. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Maybe because he needs their help to turn back from the tornado. Or because he becomes very hurt and vulnerable right after he turns back, so he needs someone to get him back home and care for him in the meantime. Also, no man is an island, and even a tornado-changing superhero has his nemesis, who'll find a way to get to him. Then, he'll need the help of his friends. And, if none of these work, maybe he likes his friends. Just because they are less powerful then him, doesn't mean he doesn't need them on a personal level.

3. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Senior Member

Is it wise to make your main character omnipotent?

4. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

Sidekicks can see things from a different point of view, and may have their OWN motivations for what they are doing. Don't discount their impact on the main character either. At a moment when the main character is full of rage, or anger, the sidekick might stop them from sending someone over that ledge...or help push them.

Or even turn their back on them.

Sidekicks aren't necessary, but they can help. Especially driving dialogue.

5. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Senior Member

It was the OP suggesting that actually nothing can really oppose his main character so the other characters are redundant. It's the best swordman in the realm syndrome. If someone really is so blindingly ahead of everyone else then really there can only be one outcome to a conflict. I remember reading Orson Scott Cards little book on writing, one of the points he made is that there shouldn't be a free lunch, every power should have a price. That way you have balanced characters capable of heroics and also defeats.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Yep. If the main character can't lose, why bother having a story?

7. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

He does have flaws and weaknesses. If he is in his solid form, he is vulnerable. Plus all the Beast characters are weak against silver since their powers are magic. When they touch silver, it makes them lose their powers for a while and makes them sick. However, silver is very rare.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sidekicks are usually there for the purpose of exposition, A sidekick provides someone to explain or clarify the main chara ter's in tentions or thought processes, especially for media such as radio or TV for which directly tapping into character thoughts is undesirable.

9. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I think I'll keep the side kicks. Sometimes they will go on their own missions when my main character is busy or too tired.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

FYI - sidekicks are companions. Side kicks are martial arts attacks.

11. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Yeah, I meant sidekicks.

12. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

like superman ...... snore

13. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Sidekicks also allow for exposition. Without need for internal monologue

14. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Sidekicks can go where the main character can't and think of things the main character wouldn't.

My "main character" is a hard-charging but naive young political journalist who is really good at her job, but nerdy, detached from the cultural developments that influence all of the stuff she reports on, and just came to the big city from small-town Wisconsin.

Hence, her "sidekick" (now really a co-protagonist, but whatever), is the fashion blogger the MC's TV network. She doesn't know a darn thing about politics, but she can figure out culture, music, fashion, all of the stuff that eventually feeds the political storyline. She also grew up in L.A. so she's very bright-lights, big-city and not a deer in the headlights like the MC.

So, in my case it was really a matter of building someone who could explore the sides of reality that the MC doesn't understand or care about.