1. Callire

Callire New Member

Where/When do you do your best thinking?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Callire, Jan 29, 2009.

I seem to do my best thinking during extended car/bus rides (as a passenger), or right before I go to bed. When/where do you think best?

2. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Working out at the gym.

3. Mello

Mello New Member

the shower!!

4. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I'm often most productive in the early morning or late night. (I've been known to wake up at 3AM to write, as well as stay up that late.) I can come up with ideas pretty much anywhere, but I can only effectively write in my room --or at least where I can be 100% certain that no one is looking over my shoulder. :p

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Either bus or right before I go to sleep.

6. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

When I was in high school, I sometimes daydreamed to think of new ideas for my book, but when I was not in school it was either during the night or right after watching a good movie. That instantly makes writing a lot easier, especially if you were suffering from writer's block before.

7. architectus

architectus Banned

This sounds strange, but some of the best ideas have come to me while sitting on the toilet.

8. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Early-morning speedwalking through the woods. Nothing like it to blow the night's cobwebs away and bring clarity to the day.

9. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

I have to be sitting down writing to come up with the details, but the nice juicy plot-points always show up when I'm doing something completely unrelated. The two biggies so far have been while showering and while folding towels at work.

10. hysteria

hysteria New Member

at work... shhhhhh :)

11. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

You think that's bad... I have a total of... I think 45 posts on this forum now. I think all but two have been posted from work. This is a great place to get ideas though, for whatever reason.

12. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

My personal favorites

best thinking places/times:
    * at church: for some reason, my mind always wanders when I'm in church services; I've come up with some of my best scenes there, none of them having anything to do with religion
    * on the train: so many people and things to take in every day, not to mention there's nothing else to do but sit/stand and think about random what-ifs
    * on the toilet: probably has something to do with the time spent sitting, doing nothing (well, technically it's not fair to say I'm doing nothing, but... you know)
    * during a movie: I usually get a few scene ideas from films, but it all dissolves the moment the credits rolls; it's a pity I don't consciously retain any of it
    * early morning / late night: I don't even try to start writing after 10 or 11PM if I have somewhere to be in the morning because I know I'm gonna be pasted to the keyboard until 3AM; it's a bad problem

best writing places:
    * in my room: I can't write with people standing over me, near me, or around me; a solitary, enclosed space is the only way to go
    * on the toilet: same as the above; I often bring my laptop in there and type away

13. Corpsetastic

Corpsetastic Active Member

I also tend to have many cool, weird ideas when travelling on a bus or train. I just like to think away and be taken away from the mundane vehicle im in. When im going for a walk i like to think and get many ideas and possibilities that way too, there's something about being out in the elements or in an environment like a storm-hit forest that helps liven the imagination xD

14. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I can't really think of a time or place when my thoughts/ideas seem to come more easily. I guess it's just random for me. *shrug* I don't leave the house much (terribly shy) or take buses or trains so...

I get all kinds of inspired when reading about the subjects I like to write about, and when visiting the particular area I write about, but getting inspired is different from actually writing. (And I can't really write when I'm tromping around woodland trails on an island.)

I find that I start to think about my stories more at night, before I go to bed, which is unfortunate since I can only make time to write in the morning! :redface:

15. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

in bed or anywhere I can daydream easily and with few distractions.

16. bitraker

bitraker New Member

when writing, even when I hate writing - writing is thinking...

<<br>>

17. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

There is no pattern for me as to location or time of day, but there is a direct correlation between how much reading I am doing and my creativity. I finished three novels in the past two weeks and my writing has increased, completing two more chapters in one of my current manuscripts.

18. Myers

Myers Member

Mostly on the bus or when watching a film. Usually whenever I've come up with what I consider to be a good idea by the time I actually get to somewhere where I can put the ideas down the ideas have gone. I very rarely get a good idea when I'm sat at my computer ready to write.

19. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

I couldn't say. I used to say that it was in the local coffee shop, but lately it just seems to come in fits and spurts. I do a lot of good thinking when I drive as well, or when I spend time in the mountains.

20. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

When I'm tired is when they usually come.

But I agree with Stephen King. They can come at any time. Just be ready for when they do.

21. xmollyx

xmollyx New Member

While going for a walk by myself, but mostly while listening to music.

22. Jack

Jack New Member

My Top 5 Best thinking places/times:

1. Procrastination (Whenever I don't feel like doing homework)

2. Sudden Inspiration (TV Shows/Movies/Cartoons essentially, anything regarding media)

3. In the Shower (I somehow manage to stockpile a few ideas concerning characters; while I'm in the shower... -Kind of Weird-)

4. In a Library (Nice and quite)

5. Dreams (I don't include any nightmares)

23. kyle777

kyle777 Member

Usually I'll get inspirations right before bed. It's a very odd habit. But, hey, it works.
    And if I read something fantastic or watch something truly inspiring, I just have this urge to create the best piece of work I possibly can. That's when the ideas start to flow.

24. dthomas

dthomas New Member

I don't seem to get anything creative done before 11pm...usually at ol' reliable (desk).

25. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Sunrise jogging
    During yoga workout
    Talking with the spousal unit