1. nettkkr

nettkkr New Member

Recently read "Witch and Wizard"

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by nettkkr, Mar 9, 2010.

Ok, I'm a James Patterson fan. However his newest book "Witch and Wizard" Co-authored with Gabrielle Charbonnet, but I found it to be way off his mark. He's a classic detective writer. What is he doing writing about such sorcery. I don't want to give away anything that he writes for those who have not read it. But, I must say it took me off guard. What are some of your thoughts?

2. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

If an author of detective novels feels the need to express outside of his usual genre, I say he should go ahead. It would be really monotonous to close your borders to a specific sub-genre.

3. nettkkr

nettkkr New Member

I wasn't saying he shouldn't, I'm just saying I was shocked when I read the book.

4. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Oh, I see. Anyway, is it a decent read?

5. nettkkr

nettkkr New Member

Not bad. It was a little short. I read the book in two sittings. I'm a slow reader in that a 150,000 word book will usually take me a good week if I spend 2 - 3 hours a day reading. The plot is very imaginative. A brother and sister get swept away along with many other children to make way for a new order. Adults are brainwashed. The brother and sister hold the most power within their wiccan magic. It's a great read actually. Of course I like this kind of genre as well.

6. PJ.Paradox

PJ.Paradox New Member

Warning: There are a few spoilers below

This book was entertaining, but poorly researched with a lot of logical inconsistencies.

A strength that is also a weakness of this book is that we learn about the world in a trial by fire as seen through the character's eyes. This is good because it enables us to grow into the world of the novel from that which is not unlike our own, but bad because it makes no sense. Main characters were students in a high school, yet had NO IDEA about the dominant political party??? Society is deathly afraid of witches, yet the protagonists think no one believes in them - did they miss the memo that was sent out to everyone else? Crappy public school teachers maybe?

The authors REALLY should NOT have used the term Wicca when they obviously have no clue about the religion. Reading this was like reading a story about a gunslinging "Christian" that wards off zombies with a star of David and parroting Buddhist koans.

As I said, the story is entertaining if you are a fast reader, want a couple days of amusement, and can suspend disbelief. If you need things to make sense to find satisfaction, especially if you know about the symbols and tenants of Wicca, you'd better skip this one because you'll probably in inadvertently crumple and rip the pages out from frustration before you get to the end.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you post spoilers, enclose them in:
    [NOPARSE]
    The astounding revelation that ruins the read.
    [/NOPARSE]
    tags, and it will come out like this:
    The astounding revelation that ruins the read.