1. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

My Sister's Keeper

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Lyssa, Dec 24, 2008.

Has anyone read My Sister's Keeper or any other books by Jodi picoult? I am currently reading Change of Heart and loving it. But I can't get over My Sister's Keeper. I've read at least 3 times in the last 4 or 5 months, and love it even more every time. What do you guys think?

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I read that book a couple of years ago. I don't know how you could have read it 3 times--it was so heartwrenching! But Picoult is an amazing writer, and the storyline is totally unpredictable. They're making it into a movie, BTW.

My favorite of Picoult's is Keeping Faith.

3. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Oh I know, I'm so excited! Ooh! I really want to read that one! Was it good? It looks good!

Have you read Change of Heart. I really liked it....not the best, but good.

4. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

I got it for christmas, but I have a few books in ahead of it in the line up. It sounds like it'll be a really good read, and something to tug at the hearts strings.

5. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Hehe, well it is....it's a bit slow at the beginning and took me a while to figure out that she was talking about the past up to now....but near the middle it picked up. Also she gives many surprises near the end! But I won't ruin it for you. :)

6. Alison

Alison New Member

Jodi Picoult is my favorite writer. She is a master of taking something borderline unbelievable and drawing you in. I believe I've read (and own) all of her books. I wait until they are out in paperback so I actually just finished Change Of Heart a couple of weeks ago.

My current favorite is Songs of the Humpback Whale although it changes depending on my mood. Change of Heart was great.

My Sister's Keeper was the first Jodi Picoult book I read and I still can't get over it too! I think it just leaves your heart hurting...

7. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Yes! Thats what I feel too. I absolutely love the subjects she picks. They are so unlike any other book, and yet draws you in.

I also really like her writing style...going from narrator to narrator, lots of flashbacks, bunches of stories within the story, and how at the end she does the one important person we haven't heard from....i.e.....Clare in Change of Heart and Kate in My Sister's Keeper.

I've heard of Songs of the Humpback whale, but never read it....what is it about?

Right now I am searching for Keeping Faith. But would really like to read Plain Truth and Perfect Match. I've read 3 of hers....MY Sisters Keeper, Change of Heart, and Vanishing Acts. Vanishing Acts was good, but I was reading about 5 other books at the time and never really got into it.

Have you heard of her newer book? It's called Handle With Care and is coming out March 3rd, 2009. It looks very good! A short summary...

A woman decides to sue her baby doctor (and best friend) because she didn't tell her that her baby was going to have a disease, which made the babies bones very, VERY fragile...so...it looks good!

I am excited about the My Sister's Keeper movie. But also a little nervous. I don't think it'll be as good as the book, but I am excited.

:)

8. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

I just finished reading this one today and loved it. I had some issues with the story (too many relationships going on in one courtroom). It just kinda seemed highly unlikely that all these people would have to be thrown together and this percise moment. It is a fictional story though, and anything can happen, I suppose.

Anyway, i particularly liked her style of writing and plan to look into the rest of her books!

9. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Yea, but I think thats something I like about her.....that all those stories are going on. Yep! I think we're going to the library tomorrow.....hopefully I'll get some more!

10. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Wow! I just recently got finished with Plain Truth....I loved it! I got SO into it! Has anyone else read that one?