1. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

Minoirity Heroes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by soujiroseta, Sep 6, 2008.

i recently watched Hancock where will smith is the superhero dude. i was kinda pleased that finally a black hero but then someone pointed out to me that he was also a alcoholic and was extremely clumsy. I feel as if there is a serious lack of minority heroes in movies and other types of media like video games and such. you would more often have a minority as a cool sidekick or something. Im still trying to answer my own question, "Why dont we have minority superheroes?" i dont know if this makes sense to any one:)

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

There are plenty, admittedly, not many are as popular. Many of the well-known superheroes have survived from the golden age (Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman, Superman, Captain America) and the silver age (Spiderman, the X-Men, Iron Man, Daredevil, the Incredible Hulk). These eras were in the 1930's through early 1970's, a very different time.

However, traces of diversity (albeit stereotypical at times) can be seen throughout comics in the later years of the eras mentioned. X-Men, for instance, prides itself on delving into these issues, and features probably the most differentiated cast. The story of Green Lantern has a African-American lead character at one point, and the superhero (in all iterations) belongs to a group of Green Lanterns spanning the universe.

Recently, there have been many more attempts. For example, there is a Mexican female that has taken a role in the Spiderman universe as AraƱa; X-Men has an Afghan female, Dust, on a team; in the same comic, Colossus was revealed to be gay (not sure if that's canon though); Todd McFarlane's Spawn is also African-American.

Slowly, but surely...

3. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Gaia from Captain Planet represents all cultures

(Y)

lol

4. Palimpsest

Palimpsest New Member

There's Mohindr Suresh, Hiro Nakamura, and D. L. Hawkins from Heroes. I love that show :D

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't forget Maya Terrera and Monica Dawson!

Also, the X-Men character Storm is African, and Jubilee was Asian. There was also an animated nlack superero Static a couple years ago. In the DC comics universe, one of the better know Green Lanterns, John Stewart, is black, as was one of the stand-n heroes while Superman was "dead", Steel.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Storm of the X-Men was the first black and the first black female comic book character to be given a major role in a comic book. DC followed shortly after with Green Lantern John Stewart and then the pieces just started coming down. There are a lot of minority superheroes these days (Black Panther, Blade, Black Lightning, Fire, Cyborg, Bishop, and many others).

Its certainly true though that many of them aren't as popular as other superheroes. Storm and John Stewart are probably the only ones one could say stand at the top as far as popularity goes.

7. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

Does noone know about Moon Knight!!!

He was my fav super hero (he was gay)

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Villain-turned-hero Pied Piper (freiend of the Flash) caqme out as gay after he reformed.

9. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

To add to the ones said earlier, The Falcon (Marvel Universe) is black, and he has a pretty prominent role in the death of Captain America story-arc.