1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Page in a page?!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by GuardianWynn, Nov 14, 2015.

So, I have this scene. Where an orphan who previously didn't know who her birth parents were finds this out. Her mother being dead(hence orphan.)

When she discovers who her mom was. She goes out and buys a book that her mother wrote. I was thinking of having her read a page of the book and was thinking of cutting to the exact text of what she read. I was thinking of doing this for about a full page.

Is that too much?

Also. Would you do anything to seperate the passage that is being read word for word?

2. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Stephen King did this in Misery. Go ahead.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  3. Tella

Tella Active Member

And even if Stephen King hadn't, still go ahead. I'm pretty sure it is a common thing to do. Scratch that, even if it wasn't, what the hell? For some reason we only acknowledge what renown, so called "expert" writers do as legit. I think nobody should tell you in what form to write.

However, it should always be taken into account that the norm is the norm, and if the norm is cringing at putting a page within a page, well you've nothing to do about it... Let's hope the norm doesn't suck. I personally see no issue, and I'm pretty sure many famous books do something similar, so go ahead with little doubt :)

GoldenFeather and GuardianWynn like this.
  4. GoldenFeather

GoldenFeather Active Member

To continue from what Tella is saying, even if it's unconventional, you should still do it. That's what makes it an art. That's what makes a writing style, and that's what helps you develop and grow as a writer. To not explore within your work is to demean the art itself. At least that's what I believe.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  5. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

I'd do it. I like the idea. Why not write a whole chapter? If it is well written, this should be just as good and interesting as the rest of the book.

GuardianWynn likes this.