Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Active Member

Reductive Criticism

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Phil Mitchell, Jun 22, 2016.

I watched Anita Sarkessians latest video and it's so frustrating to watch the black hole of no logic that I have to let it out.

Ever hear when a critic makes a criticism of some aspect of a character, be it their looks or behaviour, and the writer then makes an in universe explanation as to why it was done this way, and the critic rather ignores that and breaks the 4th wall and says the characters aren't real people. You control it.

Okay, well I can be reductive too. If the character isn't a real persona, I guess the sexualized outfit you're complaining about isn't real either. It's just lines and ink. That plot point you don't like? Just letters. What's your issue with letters?

That too bypasses all artistic nuance and provides just as unsubtle a defence, as the critic's attack.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

The conversation only makes sense in the broader context of books and other media, generally, not when viewed as pertaining only to an isolated work.

3. hawls

hawls Active Member

It's a case of encoding and decoding. The writer has encoded a character a certain way, and the audience has decoded it in another way. It may have been unintentional but that does not mean the writer is not responsible for perpetuating a problem.

It is not and has never been the responsibility of the reader/audience to correctly interpret the work of the writer/artist. It is not and has never been the right of the writer/artist to expect their readers/audience to accept what they intended.

4. Auger

Auger Senior Member

"Video games cause violence!"
    "Video games cause sexism!"

It's the same repackaged scapegoating. People either can tell the difference between fiction and reality or they can't.

5. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

Engaging these people rarely works, and pays off for the writer. Simply say thank you and laugh in your small apartment. ^^ But seriously, a critic saying "characters aren't real people" is a valid point (not). I never really thought about that, because my MC drinks coffee with me every morning.

Anita Sarkeesian should be disregarded... She doesn't live up to her own words, and her critique work is something to laugh about.

> Player character kills a guard
    > A guard lets out "argh" -sound, to depict the pain of his last moment
    > Anita says, "I dont like the sexual tone of that grunt"
    > Viewer; :confused::confused::confused:

Shattered Shields likes this.
  6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Speaking of reductive...

BayView and Shattered Shields like this.
  7. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Is there any way we as a forum can work on introducing our debates? For example, what is reductive criticism?

8. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

This whole thing is kinda confusing. First of all, I'm not really sure if you should be trying to find logic with Ms. Sarkissian. From what I've heard she relies more on produced outrage than actual logic.

As for the rest? You're countering a nonsensical argument with another nonsensical argument. Thats a waste of energy for this sort of thing really, its best just to shrug and move on.

9. Megalith

Megalith Contributing Member Contributor

I'm not bashing the feminist movement, but Anita Sarkeesian is part of the reason why people don't take the feminist movement more seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.