1. Marge

Marge Member

Regarding Agent/Synopsis

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Marge, Mar 6, 2012.

Greetings, fellow writers!

I queried an agent who responded by asking for a synopsis and partial manuscript. Their submission guidelines don’t indicate what page length the synopsis should be, so I’m wondering… is there a standard length to go by? I have a three page synopsis ready from a previous submission where the agent was specific in what they wanted. Any help is appreciated!

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Your synopsis length seems fine to me (it's usually under 1000 words).

I would ask the agent about the length of the partial since there's nothing about it in the guidelines. But to answer your question, I believe the standard length for a partial is the first 30 pages. It can be a little more or a little less depending on where a chapter ends.

3. Marge

Marge Member

Thanks for the info, thirdwind! As for the partial, the agent did specify fifty pages. One of my chapters ends on page 52 and I was debating whether to cut it off at fifty or not, but I think you answered that question as well. Thanks again!

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if they asked for 50 and your chapter ends at 52, don't cut off the end of the chapter!

and a 3-page synopsis is probably ok, though a 1-2 page is what's most often requested... you can either send the 3-pager and cross your fingers, or call/email and ask if that's okay, or if they'd rather have a shorter one...

5. Marge

Marge Member

Thanks, mammamaia! Definitely not going to cut off the chapter! And I appreciate the info on page length regarding synopsis. I re-wrote my synopsis (now it’s not quite two pages long) and I’m actually a lot happier with the shortened version. Thanks so much for your help! :)