1. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

What Country Are You From?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tristan.n, Jan 12, 2011.

Hi all! This question has probably been posted on here before, but there's no harm in repetition, right? Anyway, I'm just curious to see what countries everyone is from (to be safe, no specific addresses!). Just going by the posts I read, it seems like a lot of people are from the UK!

I'm American, and I live in the most boring state of them all, Kansas. Hooray for being known as the breadbasket of America...? lol Someday I want to live in Canada :D

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I live in Scotland about midway between Inverness and Aberdeen.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'm from the UK, at the moment in Brighton, on the south coast of England. In non-term time, I'm in Reading (town about 40 miles west of London), and I was born and grew up in Warrington, a small industrial town between Manchester and Liverpool.

4. Quorum1

Quorum1 New Member

Australia - Best country in the world!! :p

5. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Live in the UK & grew up in New Zealand.

Pretty much a 'mixed bag' when it comes to family background.

I'm of English as well as Italian/SwissGerman & Armenian descent.

Plus honorary Kiwi as well. :)

6. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I'm from Belgium. I do not spend my days eating french fries, chocolate and waffles and drinking beer.

7. Banzai

Cricket results would indicate otherwise... :p

But strangely, I- from England- do :p

8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm from the United States of America myself. Alabama-born. I've been in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and, of course, the nation's capital, D.C.

My dad and I went to the northern states for a vacation into US history one spring break. It was freaking awesome. =D I brought home a colonial-style hat, a Union and Confederate hat, and small replicas of the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. I even saw the very grave in which Ben Franklin is buried under. Really hit home what happened 234 years ago. In fact, being in Philadelphia is what inspired me to write a mystery series about my blind Colonial detective. (Of course, Amos is in another town, but not too far from Philly.)

I'm very fond of Scotland. Just the name brings to mind rolling hills of green, old castles from the Medieval period. Of course I know y'all don't live in castles anymore, silly! I mean like ruins of old castles dotting the Scottish landscape. I want to go there some day. Interestingly enough, I'm taking History of England to 1603 and hopefully this will shed some light. Funny story, I thought the English Civil War happened before the Tudor Dynasty and that Cromwell was around that period too.

Lordy, lordy, I needed this class desperatly. :D At least I can award myself brownie points for knowing that the U.K consists of England, Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland, and not just England.

@ Lydia- I love chocolate, waffles and beer. What does that make me? :p

@ Banzai- Yeah, well, does the U.K. have all the dangerous critters that could kill you in a hearbeat? Does the U.K. have kangaroos and all sorts of oddly misshapen creatures that look as if God went "WTF do I do with the spare parts in my Creation Kit? Aw hell, I'll create Australia and dump them there and see what happens"? Only in Australia, mate. ;) Australia pwns all.

9. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I'm from England. South East when I'm at home, and South West when I'm away at university. I was originally born up North though, but I've lived in the South East most of my life.

10. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

I'm from Brazil. I was born in Curitiba, but now I live on Porto Alegre. I've always lived in southern Brazil, though, and the farthest state from mine that I ever visited was Sao Paulo, so I know very little of my country, geographically speaking.

11. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

My state is more breadbaskety than yours. (Iowa)

12. Link the Writer

Yah, well, in 2019, my state will celebrate its 200th anniversary of being in the Union! :D

And yes, Alabama did secede from the Union during the Civil War, but we were readmitted soon after the war ended. =)

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't come from a country, though the word that is used locally is the translation for country in Spanish. I come from a protectorate of the United States, Puerto Rico. But I am a citizen of Earth simply because there is no bit of ground where I have stepped that I feel like, "I am from here." I was raised in the mainland of the U.S., where I am seen as the Puerto Rican. In Puerto Rico, where I now live, when I open my mouth and speak my American accented Spanish, I am seen as el Americano.

So, I have no country, but that is an untenable state in which to find oneself; hence, I claim all countries.

"Hello, my name is Wrey. Welcome to my planet." ;).
    Edit ~ LOL :D Rob said breadbaskety!

14. KrisG

KrisG New Member

I'm from Northern Ireland, although I wish I wasn't... haha

15. Link the Writer

Well, there are three other...countries? (England, Scotland, and Wales)

Quick question, UKers. Is it countries? I'm suspecting countries that are united under one banner.

16. Banzai

Yes, they're countries. Though so is the UK. It's all a bit of a confusion really, stemming from a history of being separate, and different national identities.

17. Elgaisma

The official title is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales - I think. Britain is Wales and England technically. On top of that there are archipelegos and other islands included, Isle of Man, Orkneys, Shetland etc (all of which have been seperate countries, kingdoms etc). British Isles is the term that covers absolutely everything plus I think the likes of Gibraltor etc

I think I have that right lol long time since I have used said information.

18. Banzai

Great Britain is the island that is England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is exactly what it says on the tin. The British Isles includes the UK, the Republic of Ireland, and lots of the surrounding little islands, such as the Isle of Mann, the Isle of Wight, and the Channel islands.

It doesn't include Gibraltar. Though Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory, so in that context it is a British isle, in that it's an "island" of Britain amid Morocco and Spain... But that's just me being an arse really.

19. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I'm from the United States, Wisconsin specifically. I've done my fair bit of traveling over the US, though. Been to California, Minnesota, Illinois, Maryland, DC and Virginia. Also, going to NYC for spring break. :D

20. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I live in the United States, too. Born in Nevada, moved to Arizona when I was tiny, lived there until last year, and then, completely coincidentally, moved back to the city I was born in.

I hope we have kids while we live here, so everyone will hear that my kid and I were born in the same place and think I lived there for forever.

21. Elgaisma

Thats right. It is years since I did this stuff and being in Scotland it doesn't often get mentioned lol I am right in the centre of Scottish Nationalist Territory :)

22. TokyoVigilante

TokyoVigilante New Member

Canada.

It's always cold. Bun I like the cold.

23. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I live in the UK, the capital city, London.
    The city were rain is definite.
    The city when is snows, it's chaos.

24. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I was born in Washington, DC in the United States and raised just south of its border in Virginia. Then I went on a three year hiatus from Virginia and moved to Germany.

I went to college in eastern Pennsylvania but somehow managed to land back in Northern Virginia. :p

25. Quorum1

Quorum1 New Member

Oooh! Below the belt!! :p

That's OK... see you in the pool in 2012 ;)

(PS - I hate cricket!! :eek: I know, very unaustralian of me)