1. Uber Aubergine

Uber Aubergine New Member

Reliable source for names and their meanings

Discussion in 'Research' started by Uber Aubergine, Apr 15, 2015.

So I'm in the process of naming some of my characters - the majority of which having foreign origins - and found myself browsing baby name sites. I want to add in some hidden meanings behind the names (no one other than myself may ever know of their inclusion... but at least I'll know) however I'm seriously questioning how reliable a resource these sites are for this. In all fairness, I could cross check results across different sites but I thought i'd check-in here.

Does anyone have any useful experience with this?

Cheers guys.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

If it helps, this is what I would do.

3. Ozzy

Ozzy Member

I also check multiple sites for meanings and origins. I don't always look at the meanings, but usually my main group of characters have names that I'd rather not mean the complete opposite of their qualities.

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Wherever the name you want comes from, why don't you go ask someone of the same origin? eg. if your character needs a Chinese name, ask a Chinese person. If a Nigerian name, as a Nigerian. There must be forums you can ask, or perhaps someone you know from the place of interest?