1. Attero

Attero New Member

religion, realistic story telling

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Attero, Nov 18, 2009.

Well i got a litle wierd question about relgion, I dont know if I can use a religon from real life as a refrence to my story. That one I want to use it the "Garden of eden" from the bible, so can someone tell me if that is possible to use so I dont get some law sue issues later if I get my story published?

My other question is about realistic telling of the story, my main theme of it is a narrotor (like a storyteller within the book it self). Should it be more realistic to
    get more interseting? Should it be more fiction?

The genre of my story is, fantasy/action/drama

Any answer would help me right now :D

Thanks for your time reading and thanks in advance

Attero

(if you want to complain on my english, be my guest. Its not my native language and Im not wrinting the story in english, and have a nice day)

2. madhoca

madhoca Contributing Member Contributor

Good question!

If you want to quote from the Bible directly, the laws are different depending on which Bible you want to quote from.

Last time I researched this I found that:
    You can quote up to 1000 verses of the Good News Bible, provided that you state that the version is copyright, American Bible Society.
    You can quote up to 250 verses of the New Living Translation, provided that you state that the version is copyright, Tyndale House.
    The King James Version of the Bible is copyright free.

You can rewrite Bible stories and themes however you want, they have no copyright.

3. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

It's okay to reference religion from a legal standpoint and while I'm almost positive that the bible is fair game, I should probably wait for someone with better knowledge of copyright to show up and say so.

Your second question was difficult for me to understand, but without a much more detailed understanding of your story, it's impossible to tell whether your idea for a narrator works or not.

EDIT: Thanks for the save, madhoca. :)

4. Attero

Attero New Member

Thanks for the help, and about the narrotor Ive have figure it out. But about the bible, Im just going to use the "garden of eden" as a small refrence to make a point in my story.

Thanks for answer so quickly

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if this is not being written in english and will thus be published in another country, then it's useless to ask about american copyright laws... you'll need to check your own country's, as the ones quoted above may not apply there...

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

Nice catch, mammamaia...out of curiosity, do you know if the laws in Sweden are usually similar to US copyright rules?

7. DragonGrim

DragonGrim Contributing Member

This may just be me, but I think unless you directly quote the Bible verbatim, you don’t need to reference it. So go ahead and use the thoughts, symbols, and paraphrase (in a fashion) and don’t worry about it.

8. architectus

architectus Banned

Because the KJV is hard for a lot of people to read, I would paraphrase it, or find a modern version you can quote from. Paraphrasing would probably work better, especially if the characters are talking about it.

9. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

I'd suggest you to read some of the other fiction using the story of Adam of Eve, to see how they pulled it off, and to find an angle not already used to death. I've seen all kinds of angles on it, from Paradise Lost by Milton, where Satan was the "hero" of the story, to a TV commercial where Eve found out Adam was gay (real funny, actually). With this in mind, I think you're free to do just about anything you like. But now that we've had South Park, I think it's hard getting away with ridiculing Christianity, without people thinking "Seen that already..."

10. Operaghost

Operaghost Contributing Member

Biblical events and stories are fair game, within reason, there is no copy write on them, although as some people have pointed out direct quotations can be copywrited depending on the version of the bible you are working from, but bear in mind that this is a valid religion, (the bible or excerpts of it at least are actually used by several religions, not just Christianity) So as long as you don’t use this in any derogatory way, you should be fine Avoid suggesting that whole religions may be lies and covered up by particular sects as well, it may have worked for Dan Brown but lets face it his novels are terrible, and if you have to write a thinly veiled attack on religion on the church in general a la Phillip Pullman, then don’t try and defend this by stating in tv interviews that you are a better writer than CS Lewis or J.R.R Tolkien because of this (as he did) as it just makes you look a Pratt)

11. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributing Member Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    *claps*

12. CharlieVer

CharlieVer New Member Contributor

I don't recall Dan Brown ever saying that "whole religions are lies."

I, personally, enjoyed his novels. I can find specific critiques regarding them, but I do find them entertaining. And I am a religious person.

Charlie

13. mammamaia

salty...
    if sweden is also a signatory to the bern convention [which it probably is], its copyright laws would be similar to or the same as the us...

14. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

Oh, now you reminded me that I bought his whole trilogy and then dumped it after 40 pages of reading. :(

15. CharlieVer

That's a shame, you should pick it up again, it was really well written.

16. Operaghost

Operaghost Contributing Member

I agree that the His Dark Materials trilogy is very well written, (and I am a practising Christian but aware that it is a novel and reading it won’t send me to hell) but after seeing that interview I have no respect for the man himself, as for Dan Brown I have only read the Da Vinci code in all fairness and although the ideas for the story where there is was very badly executed. I fact there was so much exposition that around 300 pages of the book, when nothing had happened were paired down to about 5 minutes of screen time in the (admittedly terrible) movie without any loss of what was going on. That being said I do admire the guy for achieving what most of us aspire to do.

17. CharlieVer

Okay, I'm throwing up my hands, because to me, this is a mystery:

Based on my experiences here over many months, I'm lead to believe that I'm the only person on planet Earth who actually liked and enjoyed Dan Brown's novels. If so, how the heck did he become so successful?

(And if the Da Vinci Code was all exposition, allegedly 300 pages in a row of it, why don't I recall ten consecutive pages with no action or suspense?)

I'm equally baffled by the utter obsession with many people to take potshots at Dan Brown... in a recent post, someone even pointed to a website devoted entirely to making fun of Dan Brown. I honestly don't see why he's hated so much, with such anger and venom. If I were so inclined, I could rattle off 10 names of authors whose works were more poorly written than his, and not one of them inspires a single word of hate, let alone the long posts and entire websites devoted to the Dan Brown hate-fest.

Frankly, it seems to come up on almost every thread, and as a fan, I'm getting more than a little tired of it.

I'm almost to the point of recommending the old adage: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything, so if you can't say something nice about Dan Brown, don't mention him. It's not as if Dan Brown's here taking notes on how to improve his books based on the recommendations here, so there can be no constructive purpose to destructing the man's work.

It's just getting real annoying... and making me feel really lonely, which is odd, considering how many millions of books the guy has sold. I'm sure I didn't buy them all.

18. mammamaia

no matter how poor the writing,a book can still sell well, if well-hyped and the story is appealing/interesting/controversial/et al. ...

another case in proof is redfield's 'celestine prophecy' that oprah made into a bestseller, thanks to her not knowing good writing from awful...

19. CharlieVer

Be that as it may, I enjoyed his books.

I'll counter with this:

No matter how good a book is, a book can be widely attacked by people who don't like it, some because they don't agree with the subject matter, and some because they have their personal opinion. That doesn't mean the book is not good.

What baffles me is the vehemence with which his books, that I enjoyed immensely, have been attacked. Why, if one doesn't like something, they can't just choose to read something else... I'm made to feel as though my enjoying something is a moral failing on my part.

There are books, some of which that sell very well, that I don't like. But I didn't make a website to make fun of any of those books, and I don't bring up those books every couple days in order to expound on the things I don't like about them.

Charlie