1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Time Travel with Writing

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Killer300, Jul 26, 2011.

OKay, here's a plot that needs help with creation, hence plot creation. Okay, the idea is that a writer goes back to the year 1920, and writes a book detailing what will happen in WW2, the Cold War, and the modern day in the form of a story. Now, such a book would probably be massive, especially since he's writing the entire thing is written with beautiful prose that doesn't shirk on details. Said book becomes a huge hit and afterwards... I don't know and isn't what I'm mainly asking about here.
    1. Has this idea been done before? If yes, examples please because they'll be very helpful.
    2. Should I show the book to the reader? That would turn it into a frame story. I know this is a stylistic choice that is ultimately mine, but I'm asking for OPINIONS on it. Ultimately, I'll choose whether it will be worth it or not, obviously.

Hope you guys can help.

2. PastPresentNFuture

PastPresentNFuture New Member

Wow, why have I never thought of Ideas like that? 1. No it seems quite original. 2. Sure, go for it, if it makes the story yours, why not?

3. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

2. Yes, but you mean just show a small part of it, right?

4. Ralinde

Ralinde New Member

So are you asking about the ramifications of said MC publishing this book which goes on to be a huge hit but also just so happens to explain the future in explicit detail? Well you probably have a couple of course of action if this is the case.

There are lots of theories about time travel first and foremost. Publishing a book about the future may eliminate the MC's reason to travel to the past in the first place and therefore, the story would never get published.

On the other hand, there could be quite dire consequences once people start realising what the book is and people would start trying to change the future. In this case, differnt time travel theories would apply.

A third course of action is perhaps an outside party which tries to prevent the writing and subsequent release of the book or to contain it because it goes against the laws of the universe or something.

There are lots of different courses of action and of course, plenty of consequences for writing a novel about the future in the 1920s. I also wonder why anyone would want to write a novel in the first place about the future, knowing the havoc it could cause. Does the MC have some sort of god-complex? Or is he/she trying to teach people ahead of time the atrocities that await them if they do not turn aside from the world's current course?

Plenty to think about in any case. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you were asking but I hope it helps all the same.

5. LostInFiction

LostInFiction New Member

The only thing that springs to mind is in film where Back to The Future 2 has a sport almanac travel back through time. I know this is not exactly that similar to your idea but thought I'd mention it as it illustrates the kind of issues that having knowledge of the future can have. If people actually believe the information they can use this information to alter the way situations go to their own or others benefit. It's a great premise for a story.

6. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Huh, more unique than I thought it was. Now, yes, of course only parts of it, this book would be like 700 pages long at least, considering how much it has to cover.

As for time travel, okay, I have a solution to that which avoids things like the grandfather paradox but I'll keep that to myself. Now, the character is writing the book because he actually didn't intentionally time travel. So, he decides to write about the future, and obsessive at that, for he feels like he's got nothing else to do. 700 pages later, and he takes it for publishing, figuring it won't become famous or anything. He's one of those pessimistic writers who thinks nothing he writes will ever become popular or critically acclaimed. He finds out... not so much. It becomes an international hit, recieving a Russian, German, French, and Spanish translation. As for critical acclaim, he gets plenty of awards. Now, he also has to deal with threats to his life, and the realization he has irreversibly changed the world. Whether it's for the better or worse... time will tell.

7. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

What's the intent behind the book? Is it purely to educate or is there a particular angle? Is the MC trying to present a first person encounter to off set all of the books written from biased viewpoints? Is there a personal reason for following these events, like trying to find a family member who died in these times, etc?

8. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

In his case, the intent is just to have something to do, he's literally doing it because he's bored, and isn't taking into account the consquences of writing this book, figuring it won't be popular enough to affect anything, and that even if it somehow did, that it doesn't stand a chance of changing anything major.