Reorganization?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by evizaer, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Maybe there could be subcategories for poetry? I would personally go in there more if I noticed a new poem in the 'thriller' or 'macabre' categories.

2. evizaer

evizaer New Member

Or how about we categorize them by something that actually matters to a reviewer, like "literary poetry" vs. "slam poetry" vs. "expression poetry" or something?

There's very little reason to break poetry up. It would be a bunch of forums that I'd have to go between all the time; it would be more annoying than anything. Poems would then go disregarded all together because they are in a genre that has no interest! That's no way to make things work smoother.

lpspider: Is there some way we can talk in a more real time fashion? MSN, AIM, or something similar? (If yes, you can just pm me details) I'd like to have a more engaging conversation with you about this stuff...

3. ILTBY

Genre categories do matter to me as a reviewer? I'm best at reviewing horror/thriller pieces because I'll actually put effort into them, so it would be easier for me personally to choose to only review pieces in those categories.

It's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it ;) I find you're being a little aggressive in this thread.

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I agree with that. Breaking poetry up into sections would just be a right pain and take up alot more time than normal. I personally think that the way things are is fine with the poetry forum and see no need to alter it in anyway.

Although I think that the entire forum is fine the way it is. We are use to it and it works.
    Why fix something that isn't broken?

5. Torana

ILTBY you have a good point there I guess. But at the same time I think that in doing so more and more peoples work would be left unread or without reviews and therefor I feel it is best left the way it is.

Not everyone likes certain genres of all writing and usually avoid them, with poetry I think it is just better the way it is. Maybe if there was an overflow of poetry each day and nothing was getting a review then there would be some need for a change perhaps, but as it is at the moment I think that it works just fine.

6. ILTBY

That's true, but the members who will review any genre will do so regardless of whether the poems are divided into categories or not. Well, I think so anyway :p

7. Torana

Yes that is very true. But at the same time it wouldn't be fair on some members to have their work dismissed. When you have more areas to filter through for un reviewed work it makes things harder and more tedious and eventually people will just pick a few areas to review and not bother with the rest.

That happened on another forum I am a member on. You are lucky to get more than one review there of your work when you post in the poetry forums as they are so spread out and most of the time people only review in certain sections unless you actually pm them and ask them to take a look at your work. It didn't start off that way, but people became lazy and got sick and tired of going in and out of forums all the time to review all the poetry and now barely review at all.

8. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

How about this: If you don't like the set up, feel free to leave and make up your own forum. While LP will take suggestions into his stride but honestly, I think if you don't like it, feel free to find another forum to your own taste and design.

~Dropbear_Oz

9. evizaer

evizaer New Member

That is the lamest diversion. I'm so sick of hearing it. You can always use it to divert yourself from improvement.

How about this: If you don't like my opinion, ignore it. Don't post in the thread. If you want to take action, show me why things are better the way they are (which many people have tried to do, including you if I remember correctly). Telling me to leave is pointless. I would've left if that was what I wanted to do.

10. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Edited because I was tired last night and grumpy. I'm pretty much like, why should we change what is already here? Like Torana said before, if it aint broke, don't fix it. This place is fine at the moment and if Lp decides to change things then awsome. I'm sure there are a few people here who want to change some sort of layout or whatever but nobody really complains.

But to me you are coming across as wanting to take over the place. And it came across as arrogant. But hey, that's just how I saw it and I do not regret my eearlier comments because it is true. If you want to drasticly change the layout of this forum then perhaps this forum isn't for you. It happens.

11. Torana

Sorry but this has to be said.

Please refrain from this turning into a flame war or arguement people.

Thank you kindly

Torana

12. evizaer

evizaer New Member

It is an argument. That's a good thing.

It is not a flame war. And if it leans towards becoming one, I'll just leave this thread all together.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Actually, this is a Suggestions thread. A certain amount of debate is apropos, but I believe the positions have been well established by now. Any action decisions fall to Lpspider.

An argument is not a good thing in all situations. I believe this is such a situation where argument is inappropriate.

14. phurst

phurst New Member

Gee, I'm sorry. Perhaps you have an example we could all look at.

15. evizaer

evizaer New Member

C Board - Powered by vBulletin

You could easily give the same treatment to programming as you do to writing. Notice how minimalistic their forum choice is; That forum has been thriving for 9 years.

16. phurst

phurst New Member

I don't see a big enough difference between thsi one and that one. I mea not enough to say that the design is a reason for declining use. Maybe we should have a poll on what draws or pushes the user away.

17. ILTBY

I don't think that's an accurate description, anyway. I feel the site is very nicely designed and quite modern :) I see no issue with the design, it's easy to use and nice to look at.

I tend to agree with DOZ, if you're finding so many faults with the site, why don't you use another one?

18. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

evizaer is giving some good, valid arguments that may prove beneficial in the long-run. I wouldn't want to see him leave if it's because he's telling some home truths.

19. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

20. ILTBY

I think he's also being a little unreasonable and rude at the same time :)

21. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I would have to agree there. I'm sorry but when I first noticed this post I was pretty darn mad and insulted for some wierd reason! Leave it up to LP. It's HIS forum. Not anyone elses in the end.

22. Bluemouth

To be honest, I've actually lost sight of what the problem was in the first place ... :p

23. Torana

This is not a place for personal attacks either. Sorry to be the one to go grrr here but I don't think it is appropriate to say a person is being rude and what not in this thread. He is offering suggestions to Lpspider and is free to do so. We may not agree with him on what he is saying but it doesn't give us the rights to say he is rude and all that for doing so.

Sorry but I think that he has made a valid point and yes the way the forum is at the moment is working for us, we like it, but we also have to think about the future of this forum and if Lp decides to once more change the layout to benefit the forums future then that is ultimately his decision to make. He is the one paying for a site that all of us have been using freely for the time we have been here except for the two members ILTBY and myself who are supporters.

Now you mahy think I am being rude but I am just being logical here. The forums future is what we are talking about here and we want it to stay running and gain more interest from new comers. So we must make it as user friendly as possible as well as have it running effectively.

Though that board we were referred to to look at is not a writing site and yes it is easy to navigate, simple and effective, I don't feel that it holds a very creative style and personally prefer the way this forum is set out. We can't all like the same thing though and it is always good to find out what others think and feel so that we can hopefully one day come up with something that everyone is happy with and user friendly at the same time.

Thank you
    Torana

1 person likes this.
  24. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Roflmao.

25. Bluemouth

Oh my lord this is the most repetitive, pointless thread. Someone create a poll stating whether or not they would like a change in layout (?) if that's the primary issue, on this site? If there is an overwhelming majority wanting change (which there won't be) then there's something wrong. If it's in favour of people liking the place how it is then this conversation can be over.

As a reviewer, the only change I'd like is to have a bar that shows me all the currently unreviewed works so I can skip to those immediately. Could I live without this? Yes.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.